DO I BUY AN EXIGE S1 OR S2?

[quote]The S2 body parts give just over 40kg of downforce at 100mph over the Elise so there not just for show.[quote]

mmmm from a splitter and a rear wing

[quote]I’m not sure what your point is about the S1 race series as the S2 has the same in the Exige S2 cup .[quote]

My point is the original Exige was a race car that was adapted for the road, the S2 is not,and the Elise 190 was a very limited production run,I’m not sure how many were made, but I’m guessing at around no more than 50 for Lotus to get them through the SVA, where as the 111R is a full blown production car, So yes the Original Exige did have an equivalent Elise, but I don’t think these can really be compared with the S2/111R.

And anyway selective memory is a luxury of us old S1 fogies, so you young S2 whippersnappers remember your place, I didn’t fight in two wars for nothing you know

And anyway selective memory is a luxury of us old S1 fogies, so you young S2 whippersnappers remember your place, I didn’t fight in two wars for nothing you know

This whippersnaper has grown up with Lotus cars from the age of five .
Like i said the S1 is a fantastic car but the S2 is the car for me.
obviously i will never win the S1/S2 argument on a predominantly S1 forum but i wish some S1 owners would stop thinking they are driving GT ones.

you need to do better than a few kgs of downforce …

For me it’s precisely those extra few Kg of downforce, the few Kg less of mass about 100 and something less?), the looks and the rawness of it all.

And remember, I give a lot of importance to driving on the road as well as the track. Don’t want to have an impractical car (if that makes sense).

That said, if I could, I’d buy an S2 too (for my wife ).

Its the S2. The idea that the S1’s are somehow harsh and raw while the s2 isnt is ludicrous. Bung a pipercross filter on a Performance Pack S2 with a Stage 2 exhaust and you’ve got a very raw car which works well on the road.

The idea that the S1’s are somehow harsh and raw while the s2 isnt is ludicrous.

Yep the S2 may be harsh & raw when judged against most other cars, but in comparison to the S1 it’s simply a pussy cat. I’m not saying that is a bad thing at all, it’s down to personal choice/preference - as are the comparative looks of the two models. Whilst having done over 43K in my own car, I’ve also driven S2’s on various trackdays & lengthy journeys both in the UK & France, so I can speak from experience

Either way, I very much doubt anyone would be dissappointed with with either choice, provided they have “exigeness” in their soul

Personally, I would never swap my S1 for an S2, especially now that it’s Honda’& Nitron’d with added goodies courtesy of the ingenuity of the Edwards Boyz

but i wish some S1 owners would stop thinking they are driving GT ones.

LOL… carefully missing 1 there… eh moomin, Freudian maybe but helps keep S 1 comparison in its place anyway…

[/quote]

The Exige was actually based on the “sport Elise racer” this was the race series that made up part of the the touring car program, and to quote Lotus “The Lotus Exige is not for the fainthearted, quite the opposite in fact. Its as faithful to the racer as legislation allow, even the racer’s central driving position was considered”

Now can this be said of the S2 [/quote]

Yes it can

It’s true to say the S1 was a developement of the race car, but this in turn had been developed fron the original Elise…

The S2 Exige is a development of the S1 that Lotus can actually sell & make a profit on.

That way they (Lotus) will get the funds to produce low volume hardcore versions of the current road cars to satisfy all types of taste

Tim.

Ever had the feeling of de ja vu?

I traded a S2 Elise in for my Exige S2 and driving Exige after the Elise it is hard /raw never minde other cars.
The on road abilitiy of the S2 is astounding but if your primery use of the car is to use it on the track you can fit the optional adjustable cup suspension and have it as hard as you like.

im going to pur petrol on the whole thing and say. FACE IT!!! Original is always best.
Driving the S1 first thing in the morning is like being slapped silly with a cold fish across the chops! Nothing stimulates your senses (or my pants) in quite the same way. The downforce on the s1 is such that my numberplate scrapes when driving over 120 The S2, nice car but wheres the lumpy idle? The wider body? The flames on overrun? The exclusive race bred engine? VVTi may be a peice of mechanical brilliance but it is not special. It is merely a mass production engine. It s all the special things about the S1 exige that make it better.
oh yeah, my dad can beat up your dad so mnyaah

I get the impression you’re not up for an S2 then

But the same things that I like about the S1 are the things that (unfortunately) makes my wife not like going out in the car.
She wants something more docile, comfier, etc, all the things my car is not.

Ah, BTW, she has asked me now to buy her an RX-8

I would say that would be a good compromise

Rover K a race bred engine

Purely for democratic reasons would it not be an idea to bring this site up to date and have a pic of an S2 aswel as the S1 at the top of the page?

Uldis, get her an RX7 instead an pretend you knew no better

Moomin, the VHPD is a race tuned version of the humble k series designed by a joint effort of companies including janspeed and minister power. It is barely emissions legal, barely ticks over properly and demands regular maintenance. Can you get any closer to a true race engine? Oh yeah, the autobytel cars run the same engine only slightly increased to about 200hp. So my point remains proven

edited to say, though you may find k series in elise, mgf , rovers etc. You will rarely find the vhpd in any other car than the exige/340 R.

I traded a S2 Elise in for my Exige S2 and driving Exige after the Elise it is hard /raw never minde other cars.
The on road abilitiy of the S2 is astounding but if your primery use of the car is to use it on the track you can fit the optional adjustable cup suspension and have it as hard as you like.

One man’s hard on, is obviously another man’s flaccid then

One man’s hard on, is obviously another man’s flacid then

Flacid, whats that? jesus just how old are you S1 owners

So what about the S2 pic then?

Oh, we’re very old indeed, but can still remember what a dictionary is used for.

Oh, we’re very old indeed, but can still remember what a dictionary is used for.

LOL

moomin… you’ll need to stay in touch with your sense of humour round here… or else you’ll get blood pressure very quickly and in any case, you can always take yer roof off to cool down and get some sun eh…

Can you look up (Bias and Prejudice) for me

LOL

moomin… you’ll need to stay in touch with your sense of humour round here… or else you’ll get blood pressure very quickly and in any case, you can always take yer roof off to cool down and get some sun eh…

Buuuurrrrnnnn!!! Im an S1 owner and im 22

i think the simple answer to Bertone’s question is simple.

Bertone, if you can afford both yet STILL have to ask? Then i suggest you buy the S2. You aint ready for the S1