Dilemma

I currently have a S2 Exige on a 04 plate which has been a fantastic car.

See Car: http://web.mac.com/jamie_jones/iWeb/Exige%20for%20sale/Lotus%20Exige%20Series%202%20For%20Sale.html

But I have been thinking of changing it. I was considering going for the new Europa S because I use the car mostly for Euro touring / Fast Road driving. ie Mountain passes ect.

I don’t track the Exige because I did all that sort of thing in a Caterham.

The Europa would make a lot of sense, esspecially on tyre costs that the Exige seems to run up.

But I just don’t think that the Europa looks like a super car, like the Exige does. I had considered getting the Europa tweeked buy TMS to 260bhp and stiffening her up abit to get the driving experience more like the Exige.

I think that I would miss the presence that the Exige has.

So I have been thinking of trading in the Exige and getting a nearly new Exige S…

Is they anyone one here that has had a Series 2 Exige and upgraded to the S2 Exige S?

I would say that it would cost me about �12K for the change.

So is the car that much different to warrent the out lay of that much money?

Because it is going to look and feel the same from the drivers set…

I know that some people would say get the Honda engine dropped in to my current car, but it would be easier to sort out finance for a straight trade deal. I also don’t see the point in throwing away a perfectly good engine.

Can anyone offer any experiances of going from the S2 Exige to the Exige S? and was the difference in power that great because the bhp doesn’t sound like a whole lot of difference.

I currently have a S2 Exige on a 04 plate which has been a fantastic car.

See Car: > http://web.mac.com/jamie_jones/iWeb/Exige%20for%20sale/Lotus%20Exige%20Series%202%20For%20Sale.html

But I have been thinking of changing it. I was considering going for the new Europa S because I use the car mostly for Euro touring / Fast Road driving. ie Mountain passes ect.

I don’t track the Exige because I did all that sort of thing in a Caterham.

The Europa would make a lot of sense, esspecially on tyre costs that the Exige seems to run up.

But I just don’t think that the Europa looks like a super car, like the Exige does. I had considered getting the Europa tweeked buy TMS to 260bhp and stiffening her up abit to get the driving experience more like the Exige.

I think that I would miss the presence that the Exige has.

So I have been thinking of trading in the Exige and getting a nearly new Exige S…

Is they anyone one here that has had a Series 2 Exige and upgraded to the S2 Exige S?

I would say that it would cost me about �12K for the change.

So is the car that much different to warrent the out lay of that much money?

Because it is going to look and feel the same from the drivers set…

I know that some people would say get the Honda engine dropped in to my current car, but it would be easier to sort out finance for a straight trade deal. I also don’t see the point in throwing away a perfectly good engine.

Can anyone offer any experiances of going from the S2 Exige to the Exige S? and was the difference in power that great because the bhp doesn’t sound like a whole lot of difference.

Have you been drinking, cos I can’t see much logic/rationale there?

its a lot of money to change imo

just fit the new Motorsport ECU to yours and save yourself 12k

A europa will cost you 33k plus sus �1700 plus brakes plus 260 BHP about 3k plus wheels so total 41K

AN Exige S makes a nice road car so you are not paying for Bhp you are paying for torque which makes it nice to live with day to day.

Go and get a turbo conversion for your current car. It’ll wipe the floor with any of the above… Plus you love that car of yours, when you took me for a spin you were besotted with it. It would be like losing a member of the family…

Snapper,
keep the car. it looks too good to sell especially when you consider the amount of time and money you have obviously spent on it. You will not get it back and why suffer pretty tough year 1 and 2 depreciation, only to sell it. Depreciaiton rates will slow down.

But if you buy another new one you’ll be back in the ravages of big depreciation.

Spend the money on a turbo or s/c and enjoy the car.

Bob

Was it you I took for a spin in the wet from NW’s in bromsgrove?

Anyone here had the forcedfed turbo unit fitted?

No one will have yet

its only just gone into the test car and thats not been mapped to UK fuel yet

I think its going to be great though looks very well made.

I am thinking about having it fitted.

Jamie, you took me for a spin at the start of the year. You came over to Whittlebury one night for the Northants,Beds & Bucks Lotus 7 Club meet.

For the turbo conversion go to Weltmeister at Silverstone (I will be). They’ve got a demo car.

BC

Hi Bob

I knew that I knew the name from somewhere… Sorry…

I have received an email from Allen at Weltmeister and have replied with a list of questions.

Are you now an exige owner? If so was it the quick spin in my car that helped?

I have also PM’ed you.

Snapper, I currently have an 06 N/A Exige, and it is a great car. I just picked up my 07 Exige S, and believe me it is a completly different car!!! The extra torque and power is amazing, and addictive. It really is an amazing car, and you just want to drive it hard. The acceleration in the upper gears is great. Go test one and I think you will be impressed.

I just thought I’d mention that I did a back of fag packet calc this AM.

The Exige S accelerates approx 11% faster than a stock Exige (over the range of 3000 to 8000rpm) peaking at 23% at 5500rpm. This also accounts for the weight increase of the S. The 23% increase at 5500 is the main reason for the impressive feeling of acceleration.

The 240R gives 20% ave increase peaking at 30% boost at 5500rpm.

The Bemani gives 35% increase with a peak of 45% at 5500-6000rpm

And the Forced Fed give 23% increase on average and a peak of 40% but this is on the redline according to the plot on Dyno-Plot?

So if it were my money I’d be speaking to Bemani. I guess the charge density increase with their intercooler allows the blower to boost a lot harder?

Hi Bob
The plot on dyno.com is $h!t. It was done on a relatively old Sun Maha dyno. This cannot create sufficient load to allow the boost to build correctly. Also the car still has the US std map in it [until tomorrow] I expect it to be c220 to 240lb-ft at 4500 rpm held until c7500 rpm after we have finished.This is customer cars, I will push mine a little harder though.

The turbo car will out accelerate a supercharged car if all else is equal.

Cheers

Allan

But what is the cost of the Bemani system?

Hi Allan, sorry I did wonder about that plot. I would have expected the turbo to give more and be better value for money.

Bob
No worries. I was mainly interested in achieving the "headline BHP2 numbers on someone elses dyno in front of 10 or so independant witnesses. This I achieved. Sadly those in the know about turbo vs supercharger could see that it was not great, whereas in reality it is stunning but that old dyno cannot replicate the load.

BTW did u see my post on pass laps at Silverstone on 10th Dec ?
Cheers

Allan

Allan

I did but unfortunately I’ve got to go to a Christening followed by a lunch do so I doubt I’ll be home before 3ish…