Delaminating rear screen

Has anyone else experienced the rear perspex cover delaminate? It appears its been coated with some sort of lacquer. How can you replace it? Any advice is appreciated thanks

mine is looking poor too, i really prefer the standard item over a motorsport cover and would love to know if its possible to refurb??

Sorry … looked into this a long time ago and contacted the OEM for the rear screen as I met them at a plastics show we were doing.

The delamination is the blackout applied to the Polycarbonate moulding coming away. There is nothing you can do except replace it.
( Lotus offered me a 50% discount )

Its a problem with UV and heat … the screen will expand more than the fibreglass substrate its bonded to and hey presto the blackout that is applied to the PC will come away eventually.

Sorry … looked into this a long time ago and contacted the OEM for the rear screen as I met them at a plastics show we were doing.

The delamination is the blackout applied to the Polycarbonate moulding coming away. There is nothing you can do except replace it.
( Lotus offered me a 50% discount )

Its a problem with UV and heat … the screen will expand more than the fibreglass substrate its bonded to and hey presto the blackout that is applied to the PC will come away eventually.

thats a shame :frowning: cant someone start making completely clear replicas please :wink:

Lotus will sell you one at about 1500 quid

Problem is to refurb you could maybe get the frame away from the PC window - but you need to get all the old blackout off and, well its doubtfull thats possible without destroying the PC window.

Best look out for a really mint original that is up for sale from someone who changed to a MS version early in its life.

You coul dalwyas try and paint the outside of the cover and somehow mask the eddge with some lining tape or something . .might look a bit better …

Cant you just sand it down, polish it and respray with a tinted laquer?

I have a spare engine cover and intend to do just that on the damaged one I have. Should turn out ok. We regularly sand and polish plastic headlamps and they always turn out fine.

Yup you can do that …

So get the frame off the PC window first. Sand down the black off the PC without leaving any scratch on the PC - polish the PC with very fine something.

Paint so that it will bond with the PC and not just come away again …

I’ll be very interested to see how you get on as I have a spare one as well

Mine is going as well - but it ain’t worth a �1500 replacement…

Mark

Would be interested to know what factors accelerate this condition? Is it something that age will bring to us all or is it just those cars tracked heavily building up additional heat?