Da Edwards splitter at speed!!!!

I guess this shows it is doing something. Approx 110mph at the top of Eau Rouge at Spa Francorchamps.
[image]http://www.exige.me.uk/splitteratspa.jpg[/image]

Full picture.

[image]http://www.exige.me.uk/eaurouge.jpg[/image]

Bloomin eck - perhaps we need a few more fixing points on our splitters!

Was thinking that myself

Mark

Is that a temporary deformation or is it still bent like that when you stop ??

cool pic… your car looks excellent…

Mark
That is just the best photie I have ever seen looking back from Raidillon to Eau Rouge, I keep trying to explain to people the gradient of the climb from Eau Rouge, its sooo steep, thats a great pic. Done it on the motorbike and look forward to trying it in the Exige.
John

Rox,

It has a slight deformation all the time (I guess due to the fact it’s getting that level of pressure), but it’s worse in the picture than on the car.

I guess this shows it is doing something. Approx 110mph at the top of Eau Rouge at Spa Francorchamps.

Hmmm, yep, it’s bending.

What about making it thicker?

That right were the number plate plinth fixing screws are ?

I know you have the plinth off but just thinking out loud …

Car looks awesome. There is certainly some air pressure at the front. I think a carbon or ally version of the splitter needs to be made, maybe with some nylon bonded underneath for when it grounds.

So, why not making it out of 1/2" thick nylon?

I’d get one

OK what I mean is there is no fixing at that point as there are slots to miss the screw heads of the plinth …

Would seem a simple matter to use some bolts into the number plate plinth captive nuts and a thin spreader under the splitter - and there you have support - no plinth though!

the plinth screws are between the spoiler and splitter…hence they dont prevent the bending. Unless you fit longer screws and large washers which will add fixing points.

So, why not making it out of 1/2" thick nylon?

I’d get one

Nylon still won’t be stiff even if it’s made a bit thicker. Obvious materials are carbon, ally or that very hard wood that is often used for splitters, can’t remember it’s name now. Still looks good in Nylon though and definately the best material for durability and withstanding speed bumps I recon.

That’s gotta be worth a good few extra kgs at the front then.

Ian

the plinth screws are between the spoiler and splitter…hence they dont prevent the bending. Unless you fit longer screws and large washers which will add fixing points.

Exactly

Guys,

Be careful with some of these suggestions.

Tonight when exiting the Ferry at Dover the guy directing us all off obviously got bored and wasn’t concentarating and the splitter on my car ended the journey in the boot!!!
1st inspection looks like no damage to the original clam splitter, thankfully!

Thankfully the nylon screws just sheared off in the middle, however the ones on each end didn’t so it got dragged for a bit as the git didn’t tell me (just felt like another hard touchdown).

The problem was then trying to get the remaining 2 screws out (swiss army knife to the rescue) as they hadn’t been touched for ages and had obviously taken root in the weld nut (possibly the screws had stretched due to the force they are under), not to mention the ‘wear’ on the screw head from previous touchdowns. So don’t use anything other than nylon screws to hold it in place, and I’d recommend possibly replacing them every few thousand miles as well.

Martin or Steve,

Can you tell me what the screw size is so I can get some more!

Mark,

Fabulous photo, Shows splitter IS creating extra downforce. New nylon bolts and extra captive nuts are on their way to you. And if anybody else is concearned about their splitter deforming at speed they should contact us and we will send them extra bolts and captive nuts to further secure the splitter. If anyone had the splitter fitted by us and is not able to fit the extra securing bolts we will gladly do this mod for them. F.O.C.

Cheers Martin & Steve.

Martin & Steve

First factory recall eh…

Mark,

Fabulous photo, Shows splitter IS creating extra downforce. New nylon bolts and extra captive nuts are on their way to you. And if anybody else is concearned about their splitter deforming at speed they should contact us and we will send them extra bolts and captive nuts to further secure the splitter. If anyone had the splitter fitted by us and is not able to fit the extra securing bolts we will gladly do this mod for them. F.O.C.

Cheers Martin & Steve.

Thanks guys,

I’ll post some pics etc once I’m back and take everything apart which will be early next week.

I’ll post some pics etc once I’m back and take everything apart which will be early next week.

Mark - did you ever get these photos?