Cutting Out

Any quick solutions to the following ?Onn hard acceleration in 2nd gear i get to about 6000rpm and the engine cuts out completley. Seems to only ever do it under hard accereleration. I have checked the obvious ie loose HT leads but they all appear to be fine !

Are you running on the new ECU ?Is your wheel-speed sensor connected ?

Excuse my ignorance but how do i find out ? I have only just purchased this car and as far as I know has had the 190 BHP upgrade . Does this include a mofified ECU ?

RobECU upgrade was part of Lotus recall. To find out if your car has had all recall work done, you need to email Andy Plant at Lotus with the FULL chassis/car number of your Exige. His email is [email protected] If your car has had the upgrade, the ECU will limit revs to 5500rpm, IF it detects a misfire. To reset, engine needs to be turned off. The ECU will detect a misfire, if the wheel sensor (located on rear drivers side) is disconnected, or malfunctioning.Good luck.

When I had my ECU upgrade, they issued me a sticker to go in my service book, which stated that the upgrade had been carried out and the instructions for when it misfired again.

Thanks very much for your help… i will obtain chassis no ect and e-mail Mr Plant at Lotus. Will let you know the outcome !How easy are the Wheel speed sensors to replace if it is inop ? and how much should i be paying for one of these ?

quote:Originally posted by Rob Sadler:How easy are the Wheel speed sensors to replace if it is inop ? and how much should i be paying for one of these ?Quite an easy job - even I could do it, & I’m a mechanical numpty! From memory, they are about �60 plus vat

Thanks for your advice Mr Pesky… I Will contact my local dealer and see how much they want to rip me off for purchasing one.

quote:Originally posted by Mr Pesky: Quite an easy job - even I could do it, & I’m a mechanical numpty! From memory, they are about �60 plus vatIf you check one of the other threads about 5,500 stutter then there’s an RS part available to a much higher spec - i think it cost 95pence!

quote:Originally posted by stevegreen: If you check one of the other threads about 5,500 stutter then there’s an RS part available to a much higher spec - i think it cost 95pence!SteveAre you talking about the electrical connector only? When I replaced my sensor, it included the bit that screwed into the hub, plus attached wire with one half of the electrical connector. From memory, it is the same part that Lotus fitted to the Esprit.

I was talkin’ only about the connector from RS not the sensor …

Cutting out Update…Went out for a blast last night. Was sat at the traffic lights with a Boxster beside me waiting for the green light. On take off hit 7000 rpm in 1st… changed to 2nd and nothing no power at all. took my foot of the throttle and had a delay of 2 seconds, then we sprang back into life. It almost feels like as the engine is put under load and you change gear quickly there is an electrical cable that come loose ?? Do you still thing this may be the Wheel Speed sensor ?

RobDoesn’t sound like the wheel sensor. Could be a loose electrical connection, or fuel starvation. In fact the two may be related - check that the fuel pump relay is properly seated - whilst you’re at it, make sure that all the relays/fuses are in place.You obviously need to get this sorted quickly, as it could put you in danger on the road - good luck.

Poss my old problem with the fuel pipe- sounds very familiar…

Its going back to the dealer tomorrow, and I am going to leave it with them unttil they have experienced the problem themselves. Back to the Golf GTI for me then … How Dull !

Highly unlikly but if you still have the CAT on, it may have collasped blocking the exhaust.

It hasnt got the cat fitted ! Took it back to the garage. They seem to think it may be something Electrical. Will let you know the outcome.Thanks to everyone for all your help.

quote:Originally posted by Mr Pesky: SteveAre you talking about the electrical connector only? Apologies…yes I was

Still no Joy… anyone got a push Bike i can Borrow !