Current thinking on springs ?

Im getting ready to order a set of nitrons for the car and was wondering what are current peoples views on the spring rates to go for ?

I’m on leda 375/425, but in few days will fit
Nitrons 425/500.

yeah i was guessing i should be aiming about that area as i noticed a few of the pure track day cars are setup with 600-650

is it common to run with a 75lb difference front/rear i thought 50 was the ideal difference ?

I thought 325/400 was the std road/track compromise (ie. the kind of thing Eliseparts will offer if you ask them for a road/track compromise).

600/650 appeared to be mad on track in the wet, no grip!

Ian

kp78

doesn’t guy recommend 325/400 ??

doesn’t guy recommend 325/400 ??

Yup. For more track oriented setup some people use 400/475, but it gets a bit rough on the road. Pretty much on the edge of ‘road usable’.

Bye, Arno.

I’ve got 425/500 on my nitrons…

Carsten

Do you use it on HM highways? at all ?? much ??

I so… doesn’t it skip about all over the place on bumpy corners?

Guys

If you want a sensible answer, wait for RussT’s comments in a week or so. He has just changed his “standard” Nitron springs/dampers for the uprated set up for his first race on Monday. Today, on track at Oulton Park, he said his car was “superb” with the new gear, but he hasn’t driven it on the road yet! Also, his car is running with more neg camber than before, so it might be (will be!!!) somewhat more twitchy on Elizabeth R’s stretch of tarmac

Rob, hmm…what kind of race series is he doing then?
So, he is serious about it?
blimey…
will keep me fingers crossed then…
laters,
B

Will do mr pesky … cant get them fitted for a few weeks anyway and they already have the nitrons there waiting for me to tell em what springs

Carsten

Do you use it on HM highways? at all ?? much ??

I so… doesn’t it skip about all over the place on bumpy corners?

Well its my second car… yes its a bit harsh-ish on roads (especially small country ones) but its the damper settings that dictate the severity of harshness…not the spring rates (not entirely true but…) I went with these rates as the honda engine will be a tad heavier than the K and I want mine for trackdays etc… so upped the rates slightly. And its only 30 odd quid a corner should I change plans and go to standard nitron rates.

yeah i was guessing i should be aiming about that area as i noticed a few of the pure track day cars are setup with 600-650

is it common to run with a 75lb difference front/rear i thought 50 was the ideal difference ?

Not a rule at all… I had 375-400 on elise (25lb split) which worked great…something to do with the valving and the fact they were 2 way adjustables from RD so the Bump/rebound ratio could be changed easily

Having just done a trip to Spa anmd back with 400-475’s those are just about the limit, especially on the not so smooth French and Belgian roads.

Advice then anyone, what difference will the spread in front to back spring rates make?

I’m currently pondering:

325/400
350/400
375/400

Ian

You don’t want to make the front any stiffer proportionally. It will make it understeer even more.

Cheers Chris.

It already has a slight bias towards understeer, so are you therefore saying the 325/400 would give the least?

Also, you say proportionaly. Does anybody know the std spring rates? I think 100 and something was suggested but I think it has to be much higher than that.

Ian

Standard rate are 100 and something so you will be at least doubling the rates whatever you do. IMO the car needs to be that stiff and with improved damping the ride shouldn’t be ruined. I would go for the 325/400 to start with and go stiffer later if you feel the need. It seems like the 325/400 setup is quite widely used so I would have thought this gives a good balance and would be a good place to start.

And also… Use Eibach springs, they are head and shoulders over any other make.

That’s interesting. I saw some pics of Eibachs that were a different shape to a standard spring, as they weren’t parallel over their length and bulged in the middle. Are all Eibachs like that? What makes them better? I assume they’re more expensive (although not by too much as they’re std on the S2/111R)?

Ian

ps. Sorry, you’ve set me off into 3 year old mode with all these questions.