Current K exhaust options....

I’ve just seen this for sale…

http://www.motorsportauctions.com/index.php?a=ap&addon=storefront&page=home&store=710&listing=35467

And I have this…

What exactly have I got?

Also, what is the best aftermarket option available? I think I’d like to keep my manifold.

The one you linked to is a standard Exige silencer. You don’t want one of these. Plus you would need to find both tailpipes.

What you have is a Janspeed Sport silencer, that Lotus used to supply. Mild steel with an aluminiumised coating. I bet if you tap the silencer with something metal it sounds like an empty 5 litre oil can? They’re great for pops, bangs and flames on the over run, but very track unfriendly.

Take your pick on what’s the best, but make sure that it has the longer tailpipe for an Exige, or you will burn off your paint around the exit. They all seem to be about the same quality wise, so pick on noise level, repackability, price, tailpipe style, etc.

Or clean up what you have, repaint it with some high temp paint and really annoy the neighbours!!

What’s the tip on it John, was that standard or is a double pipe standard?

Large oval was standard, twin available, but cost more and only ever seen one in a catalogue.

Never thought the oval looked quite right, it wasn’t the right shape/size to fill the hole. Plus they fell off on track if you didn’t tighten them up enough!! :open_mouth: Heard of more than one that escaped.

Jonny,

Good advice. OEM one is very heavy and my one is in the skip with the Janspeed that rotted. 104db static!

I now have and Elise parts exhaust just becuase EP give me good service. I do not like how far the pipes stick out of the clam but I believe that can be fettled by adjusting the hangers (bending). Lots of the noise on an s1 comes from the induction so I cannot say if the exhaust sounds much different. VHPD sounds magic with throttle bodies anyway.

EP exhausts are made by Chris Tullet. Mine was an ex display one which had a polished finish that you would love. They were in short supply last year but available now.

Somw other obvious contenders have mixed reviews.

Oh and it’s twin pipes with a very subtle flair on the ends, nice

I’ve Goggled and seen a twin just in some Exige S1 literature. I quite like the oval, typically :smiley:

Thanks Keith

I have a full Larini setup on mine that sounds good…and I’ve been on a TD to Bedford too so it doesn’t make your ears bleed!
If anyone’s interested I’ll be selling the full system come March/April time.

Thanks Rob, ideally I’d like to buy new but keeping the manifold.

The exhaust pictured was the £600.00 optional extra :astonished: , sounds great but too loud for some tracks

I think you need to tell us a bit more about your plans Rob…

Do I feel a build thread coming on… :wink:

I’ll be keeping the VHPD…

…on a pallet!

I had a Simpson exhaust on my K series about a zillion years ago. Supplied by EP back then. Was a lovely thing. Really well made, fit very well and sounded great. Not too loud either. I had the full manifold and system, but I think they did a system that utilised the original manifold.

That’s not the one I got off you is it?

Anyone know if the flexy is standard on all S1’s or is the VHPD/big bore different? Looks the same on the Deroure diagrams…

Item 1 - labelled as Pipe, manifold to catalyst - Part number A340S6001F

it’s cross-referenced as fitting the Elise S1 but I think this was just the Sport 160 model:

It’s also common with the 340R.

Thanks Steve. Hope you’re well mate, how’s the beard? :wink:

At this time of year - lovely and warm :smiley:

Before you decide to keep your manifold - are you sure it’s in good condition – there’s what could be soot from it blowing on the bulkhead insulation and I think they had a reputation for cracking at the flange, especially the inner pipe.