Coolant?

Need to buy a new small bottle of coolant for my S1 exige. Went to my local dealer and they said they didn’t sell it in bottles??? they only had one massive tank for there use and it was pink. mine is blue, where can i get this from please?? thanks you

The pink stuff is for S2 use only

Really, really, I’m only having a joke

The pink stuff is for S2 use only

Really, really, I’m only having a joke

\

The fluorescent pink one is the OAt (Organic Acid Technology) and is the latest recommendation from Lotus. It should be used on any car if you can make the change.
Unfortunately it’s not compatible with the previous fluo yellow or blue for that matter.
If you have blue it’s been changed at some stage by a mechanic, should be yellow.
If you have green, blue has been mixed in with the yellow.

So, my recommendation is to change to the pink one: Havoline OAT, sells by the liter in any self respecting place.

But drain completely the blue one, and then loosen one end of a pipe while putting the water hose to purge it thoroughly, if not they will gell and ugly brown crumbs will form that could plug the system (been there )
Then drain again, this time the remaining is going to be clean water so no probs.

The cooling system should take about 5L so plan on putting 3L of OAT in there and then fill the rest with water.
Sorted.

The fluorescent pink one is the OAt (Organic Acid Technology) and is the latest recommendation from Lotus. It should be used on any car if you can make the change.
Unfortunately it’s not compatible with the previous fluo yellow or blue for that matter.
If you have blue it’s been changed at some stage by a mechanic, should be yellow.
If you have green, blue has been mixed in with the yellow.

So, my recommendation is to change to the pink one: Havoline OAT, sells by the liter in any self respecting place.

But drain completely the blue one, and then loosen one end of a pipe while putting the water hose to purge it thoroughly, if not they will gell and ugly brown crumbs will form that could plug the system (been there )
Then drain again, this time the remaining is going to be clean water so no probs.

The cooling system should take about 5L so plan on putting 3L of OAT in there and then fill the rest with water.
Sorted.

Thanks for this mate, I will buy a new coolant tank while i am at it as well from elise parts. Sorry to be a pain here, but could you please put the process of draining down and refilling the coolant in like 10 simple steps. this is a job I have never tackeled before and don’t wont to mess it up. so u think i should be able to get the coolant from halfrauds? many thanks

Nathan

Nath, see here

Basically that post describes you how to bleed the system.
I wrote in a post (that I can’t find) the way to drain properly. I’ll try to quickly go through the procedure.

Basically to drain the system you should undo one hose below the engine, the one sending the coolant to the radiator. that is (looking at the engine from the rear) on the right.
Let the coolant flow out (cap off). When it stops, put in a garden hose and let water flow, that will push the remainder of the coolant out.
Once you’ve done this on both sides of the disconnected hose, you can be pretty sure there’s only clean water in the rad and in the engine.
Just to make sure, I reconnected the hose, started the engine until it warmed up (thermostat opens) and drained again.
And yes, the previously clear water went slightly green again.

So, do the same procedure of pumping water through the garden hose once more and then let drain, close the hoses and put in 3 L of OAT coolant.
If that doesn’t fill the system up, top with water, that should give you about a 60% concentration mix.

Then go through the bleeding procedure as described above.

HTH.