Confession

whats the address for the vx forum?.

whats the address for the vx forum?.

VX Forum Here

Enjoy

TT, yours has been a baptism of fire. But having spent all that money sorting out what was basically your error and not the cars in not checking the oil, you should at least get your money’s worth. I’ve read your post on the VX board and honestly we aren’t a bad bunch it’s just been a difficult birth that’s all…

That’s as maybe but I’ve lost heart with the car in the fact that it still wasn’t sorted after the rebuild was the nail in the coffin. It has left me edgy because I just cannot afford for something like that to happen again - and you’re all right, it probably won’t and the car is probably in better shape than it’s ever been, but it’s lost my trust

As it’s my only car I need something that is getting on for reliable and doesn’t cost a fortune if something does go wrong (hence I probably bought the wrong car in the first place)…

I never said anyone was a bad bunch, particularly from here - the guys on here have been friendly and supportive - I just have some issues with some SELOC members (not just Simon S, with whom I have solved my differences with)…

TT really would advise you to hang onto the lil’ monster. Done 18k trouble free (ooah) miles in last 12 months - still got as big a smile as day I bought it

TT,

reading your posts over there I can’t help but get the feeling that you had an affair with the the Exige, and that would be the reason why you want to go back.

Think of it!, you are married and settled in a nice routine, you liked your (blonde) VX, but couldn’t stop lusting after this gorgeous brunette (the Exige).

You had great times with the VX but more and more felt the urge of seeing what would it be like if I only had this other one, it looks sooo sexy, sooo promising, endless passion nights.
Can’t go wrong, right?

Then you take the plunge, leave the VX and off you go in a torrid affair with the Brunette.
Only to discover that things are never as rosy as they seem.
She likes to spend money, has some bad habits (yes, sometimes smells and farts with a flame) and has this huge appetite (oil), you wonder where does she put it all .
You haven’t yet seen it all, because the real expenses are coming later: tyres, brakes and “upgrades” (yes, what would we do without those wonderful “modifications”).

But you start to get the picture.

Suddenly your old trusty VX doesn’t seem so bad. After all, many passion nights were spent with her as well. Maybe the type of climax won’t be the same but, hey, it’s a climax!, and you know you’ll have another one tomorrow as well, and that you’ll be happy giving her just normal fuel, she won’t ask for much more.

I understand.

But I married the “other” one.
With her I have discovered to extend my limits. Something that before her I didn’t know I could do. Not even 3 months after the affair.
I gave her time, and I have learnt more and more as we go.
I now know that I have about 60% more to learn with her, and at that time I hope too that I can have my flings with some more exotic machinery (yes, I lust over a Lamborghini Gallardo, a Noble and a GT40), maybe some day…
But those would be on the side, the old trusty one would still be there, first love.

See, the point is that I don’t think you really learn what made her so special.
It was not the engine (which I know you liked from the video), it was not the handling as you sampled it, because at that pace the car is plainly stuck to the floor. The handling is not great to the normal folk. The fact that it’s stuck to the floor masks her difficult handling traits.
The Exige makes you learn how to drive, makes you sample handling like few can offer: difficult from 7-8/10ths, much better from 9-10/10ths.

And then you start refining your driving.
All this at a bargain price.
Yes, all you have spent is only a fraction of what would cost you on a race-only car. And in that case, no road fun.

It all makes sense.
And by the way the VX is not essentially that different than an Elise, we all are similar in a way. They’re all great cars, and yes, more reliable.

We wish you could have sampled longer the best traits of the Exige, but I see where your heart is.
Good luck with your choice.
Hope to meet you some day at a track (Oulton Dec 12th perhaps?) with whichever car you have.

Uldis

PS - that feeling of betrayal… it wasn’t really her fault, you know that, right?
And by the way, the standard exhaust can’t blow he baffles out, maybe they can rattle but everybody changes them for a lighter version sooner or later. It’s a good excuse to install a lightweight version.

Bloody hell, Uldis, what have you been drinking or smoking tonight?

Vinyl Veronique can’t wait to meet you on 12th December

erm… who’s Vinyl Veronique?

An Exige fan who is hoping to arrange her diary, so she can attend the “curry night”.

Is she one of the inflatable ones?

Is she as big a fan of indian curry as she is of French saussages.

I can sympathise with TurboT’s point of view… I’ve had cars I’ve longed for, only to find it’s been nothing but trouble… once that feel good factor, that sparkle, that trust you have in your car has gone… it’s very difficult to regard it a good light… Nothing worse than cringing whenever you drive a car, praying it doesn’t break.

Sure he’s had it fixed, but you still have that nagging doubt that you may have a lemon, or that something else is going to go wrong.

Having had a VX myself, I can see why TurboT is considering going back to one, mine felt bombproof and I’ve not yet heard of a VX with engine troubles (other than a guy who tuned it up to silly levels … not that I’d ever do such a thing…)

As a compromise TurboT, if you can, why not get another Exige that comes with a full/proper warranty… if anything goes wrong with it, you can feel happy that it’s not going to cost you anything ?

So whats the best psi to run her at then?

So whats the best psi to run her at then?

She likes psi - that’s why she is coming with Pesky…

TT,

reading your posts over there I can’t help but get the feeling that you had an affair with the the Exige, and that would be the reason why you want to go back.

Think of it!, you are married and settled in a nice routine, you liked your (blonde) VX, but couldn’t stop lusting after this gorgeous brunette (the Exige).

You had great times with the VX but more and more felt the urge of seeing what would it be like if I only had this other one, it looks sooo sexy, sooo promising, endless passion nights.
Can’t go wrong, right?

Then you take the plunge, leave the VX and off you go in a torrid affair with the Brunette.
Only to discover that things are never as rosy as they seem.
She likes to spend money, has some bad habits (yes, sometimes smells and farts with a flame) and has this huge appetite (oil), you wonder where does she put it all .
You haven’t yet seen it all, because the real expenses are coming later: tyres, brakes and “upgrades” (yes, what would we do without those wonderful “modifications”).

But you start to get the picture.

Suddenly your old trusty VX doesn’t seem so bad. After all, many passion nights were spent with her as well. Maybe the type of climax won’t be the same but, hey, it’s a climax!, and you know you’ll have another one tomorrow as well, and that you’ll be happy giving her just normal fuel, she won’t ask for much more.

I understand.

But I married the “other” one.
With her I have discovered to extend my limits. Something that before her I didn’t know I could do. Not even 3 months after the affair.
I gave her time, and I have learnt more and more as we go.
I now know that I have about 60% more to learn with her, and at that time I hope too that I can have my flings with some more exotic machinery (yes, I lust over a Lamborghini Gallardo, a Noble and a GT40), maybe some day…
But those would be on the side, the old trusty one would still be there, first love.

See, the point is that I don’t think you really learn what made her so special.
It was not the engine (which I know you liked from the video), it was not the handling as you sampled it, because at that pace the car is plainly stuck to the floor. The handling is not great to the normal folk. The fact that it’s stuck to the floor masks her difficult handling traits.
The Exige makes you learn how to drive, makes you sample handling like few can offer: difficult from 7-8/10ths, much better from 9-10/10ths.

And then you start refining your driving.
All this at a bargain price.
Yes, all you have spent is only a fraction of what would cost you on a race-only car. And in that case, no road fun.

It all makes sense.
And by the way the VX is not essentially that different than an Elise, we all are similar in a way. They’re all great cars, and yes, more reliable.

We wish you could have sampled longer the best traits of the Exige, but I see where your heart is.
Good luck with your choice.
Hope to meet you some day at a track (Oulton Dec 12th perhaps?) with whichever car you have.

Uldis

PS - that feeling of betrayal… it wasn’t really her fault, you know that, right?
And by the way, the standard exhaust can’t blow he baffles out, maybe they can rattle but everybody changes them for a lighter version sooner or later. It’s a good excuse to install a lightweight version.

Nice analogy Uldis

I can sympathise with TurboT’s point of view… I’ve had cars I’ve longed for, only to find it’s been nothing but trouble… once that feel good factor, that sparkle, that trust you have in your car has gone… it’s very difficult to regard it a good light… Nothing worse than cringing whenever you drive a car, praying it doesn’t break.

Sure he’s had it fixed, but you still have that nagging doubt that you may have a lemon, or that something else is going to go wrong.

Having had a VX myself, I can see why TurboT is considering going back to one, mine felt bombproof and I’ve not yet heard of a VX with engine troubles (other than a guy who tuned it up to silly levels … not that I’d ever do such a thing…)

As a compromise TurboT, if you can, why not get another Exige that comes with a full/proper warranty… if anything goes wrong with it, you can feel happy that it’s not going to cost you anything ?

You got it about right there mate

Problem is, the car has cleaned me out of money completely, so I cannot afford to go out and get one with a warranty…

The other option being to buy a warranty for it.

I`ve bought an Exige recently (picking it up on Saturday:D) and the only way for me to accept the deal from the dealer was to have 2 years warranty on the car as it has done approx 28k miles.

It can be difficult to get those things to pay out, especially without a dealer pestering the insurer.

hello ,

well I m wandering how is the reliability of an exige ? Indeed I want to buy one in a near future but I don’t want to spend all my time to work on the car and a lot of money I want to use this fabulous car as far as possible …I can do anything on a car with some explanations but I dont want to buy a dream and to have a nightmare …
well it s so a fabulous toy …
thanks

I have had mine for over three years and 38,000 miles and it has never let me down…

I did leave the lights on twice, and needed a jump start, but that could happen with any car, and was my fault…

True I have spent a lot of time ‘improving’ the car, but as standard it is a winner…

Get yourself an early Christmas present - you’ll LOVE it

Anything this good for this little money is going to have the potential to have problems. But like mike, I’ve hardly had any and it certainly hasn’t spoiled my ownership of the car! Put some money aside for tyres and servicing though.

On track there really isn’t much (roadworthy) that’ll touch it. That feeling of flying past Ferraris, Porsches and even the odd slow Radical causes huge smiles.

Ian