Complete loss of logic - Intake/filter problem

I replaced my conehead filter with an ITG filter, and now the engine races at nice 6000RPM at idle. throttle cable and spindle are fine, but since the airbox is on, I don’t know if a throttle body or two is stuck.

So do I need to go through the trouble of removing the airbox again, or is there 1 or 2 other checks I should make first? Perhaps a wire or hose is botched, making the ECU act like its on psychotropic drugs?

This is strange.
You can see from the outside both spindles, that are in fact reflecting the state of the butterfly opening.
I mean, if you move the throttle linkage by hand you can see if both sides are moving. You can’t have the spindle in the correct position and the butterfiles open, at least with the original TB’s.

By moving the linkage by hand you can easily see if it’s returning to the proper closed position, then you can adjust properly.
Other than that, you’ll have to take the box off.

But, why change the filter? the Pipercross foam ones are already some of the best, you surely won’t get an advantage from any other one (unless yours is somehow not fit for use of course)

It is almost definate you got something trapped or stuck and Uldis know more about this than me but i’d say you need to get the airbox off (it’s not that hard now you know how to do it eh… ) and have a look at the TB positions.

It’s defo NOT the filter that is causing this on its own.

Tip for the airbox, get a rachet spanner for just that bolt size (can’t remember what it is), makes life sooooOOoOOoOooo much easier

ahhh good tip RL…

8mm flexihead - set from halfords �19-99 as I recall…

Another tip, I’ve changed my screws for 1/4 turn DZUS fasteners.
Easy peasey now.

But, why change the filter? the Pipercross foam ones are already some of the best, you surely won’t get an advantage from any other one (unless yours is somehow not fit for use of course)

Uldis - you have to be kidding about the Pipercross filter don’t you? Its about the worst filter I have ever seen in terms of looks & design - i don’t say function as no filter at all will give you a lovely airflow! I have never been happy to believe that it can resist puncture by a stone/stick/nail/etc picked up through the ducting when on full chat.

The ITG one looks like boulders would bounce off…and I believe it was the original one designed for the Exige until the plug was pulled as it was looking too expensive…can anyone shed any more light on this?

Coming from an off road background with K&N filters i feel alot happier with the ITG - and I swear it pulls better for it.

Steve

I don’t agree about crap from the road tearing the pipercross… mines on the end of the ducting and has never seen any problems. Also when i take it out to clean it it seems pretty robust. Also… I don’t know exactly why Lotus changed tack because remember they fitted TWO of these instead of the single ITG.

My guess it was to ease the serviceing because it would take too long to clean/replace the ITG and would cost us customers a fortune - without replacing it… i’d certainly bitch about being charged Lotus service rates for the work involved in cleaning an ITG.

The Pipercross isn’t exactly cheap and i reckon 2 of them will be about as much as the ITG in terms of capital cost.

However, the ITG is a better design imho as it stops the 5h1te from the breather pipes getting into the throttle bodies, unlike the pipercross.

You’ve got to be joking Steve.
If I was going to buy a third party filter, I would go for the Pipercross foam, just like the one we have.And yes, I’ve had K&N’s in bikes and others I can’t remember.
Why?
-resistant to punctures. Yes, precisely because it’s flexible, rocks will bounce off.
-good filtration. The design has a larger poer and about three different pore sizes ending up in very fine. Dust just does not pass (if oiled properly)
-about the best flows there are. Precisely because of the staggered pore size, it works by trapping the biggest particles at different depths of the element.

Just look around a grid, you will see all sorts of filters used, and amongst the most used are Pipercross foam.

The ITG will bouce rocks, until one of them bends the grill, then it gets perforated. Yes, I’ve seen it happen with K&N.

All of these filters are good, and none are goodd if not cleaned and oiled properly.
About the first mistakes people do is washing them in solvent, kerosens, fuel, white spirit, etc.
This has the effect of tightening the cotton and weakening the foam and make it crack.
The second obvious mistake is not oiling them with the proper sticky fluid (not really oil).
And I have seen the Lotus dealers constantly clean them wrong, with spirit and then air pressure and leaving them dry.

I think you have fallen prey to the marketing machine.
If you prefer one or the other do so with a solid, informed background, not just because you like the design.

BTW, I didn’t like the foam types either until I saw most people were using them in motocross and I learnt why. Then I started using them as well.

Ah, Mike, in my 28000 miles I have never found muck in my throttle bodies coming from the breather hoses. Always clean.
Must be something else in your car.

And ah, Steve, I am not a Sunday driver, and my car has seem many many miles of B road driving following Tut and the likes up here, I can tell you, if my filter has survived well, it’s because it’s a sound design.
It works.

Ah, Mike, in my 28000 miles I have never found muck in my throttle bodies coming from the breather hoses. Always clean.
Must be something else in your car.

that’s cause yours breathes thru the coolant pipes…

Well I think this is a matter to be resolved by

handbags at three paces

However, the ITG is a better design imho as it stops the 5h1te from the breather pipes getting into the throttle bodies, unlike the pipercross.

Unless you either get a catch tank BLING or just vent it to atmosphere (wouldn’t be too keen myself)

I went the catch tank way myself in the old days…

Made one up from an old oil can etc - easy…

It’s still working !!

Going back to the sticking throttle. I had the same problem,
found it to be the blue silicone hose which goes to the underneath of the throttle bodies. From IACV valve. This was held on with a jubilee clip and was making contact with the throttle cable pully in middle of bodies.

And ah, Steve, I am not a Sunday driver, and my car has seem many many miles of B road driving following Tut and the likes up here, I can tell you, if my filter has survived well, it’s because it’s a sound design.
It works.

Uldid - it was not meant to be a personal insult…but handling the pipercross filter with a K&N or ITG you just don’t get the samer feeling of security…I’d rather be safe than sorry is all I was saying. ITG may be overengineered for the job, but again from an off-roading background, that’s what floats my boat!

Do most of my back road driving on C roads, leave the B’sa to the Sunday drivers…

No problems, in fact, re-reading my post I seemed a bit overenthusiastic.

Both filter designs will work, and none will work for long if they are not washed and oiled properly. And I don’t trust Lotus dealers for this, they seem to take the easy way out.

I’ve used both designs, and the foam one was developed in motocross, it doesn’t get tougher than that.

Steve, I can confirm that I had heard the same thing that the plug was pulled, but I don’t know if it was Lotus (or Scholar or PTP?) that pulled the plug. Section XA page 4 in the service manual shows the ITG logo on the filter!

According to Russell Gibbons, Whight/Kershaw Brit GT Cup team uses the Pipercross filter, seemingly due to cost - Russell recommended I use the ITG.