Cold air box?

I’ve seen a few references to cold air boxes on other BBS and I was wondering exactly what they are. I’ve got an Elise with a Moto-Build stage 2 which has had the air pipe from the side grills removed. Would this set up benefit from a cold air box?

Probably, if you’ve got one of those cone filters (Pipercross or K&N). The cold air box is supposed to enclose the filter, shielding it from the hot engine-bay air.Similar to the standard design, except it’s to enclose cone filters rather than panel ones.Apparently Lotus are going to start using ITG filters, which are enclosed, and claim to improve power noticably (9% or something is quoted). Might be worth considering.

Let’s hope they don’t suffer from the same problem that Subaru ITG filters suffer from.Namely, the goop they’re covered in, has been known to come off and get onto the MAF sensor with hilarious consequences (not).

WELL IVE HAD AN ITG COLD AIRBOX ON MY 135 ELISE FOR ABOUT A MONTH NOW.JUST GET ONE,IVE TRIED THE K&N INDUCTION KIT,BUT THE ITG BLOWS THIS INTO THE WEEDS!!IT SOUNDS GREAT,NOT TOO LOUD BUT CAN BE HEARD OVER THE SPORTS EXAUST.IT RESTORES THE TORQUE AT LOW REVS,THAT THE 135 SACRIFICED,BUT THE TOP END!GOT THE STANDARD GEARBOX.4TH IS ADDICTIVE FOR MOTORWAY OVERTAKING,BUT MY CAR WILL CONTINUE TO ACCELERATE IN FIFTH GEAR,SOMETHING IT WAS NEVER HAPPY TO DO ,EVEN WITH THE 135 KIT.THE BEST �300 IVE SPENT ON THE CAR,AND IM NOT SURPRISED TO HEAR LOTUS ARE GONNA START FITTING THEM!!

Wow. CAPS-LOCK Man strikes again !Anyone with an Exige tried/risked using an ITG filter yet ?Come on… I can’t be the guinea pig every time…

yeah sorry!got a bit carried away and left me caps on.bloody good bolt on though!!

I have an open ITG filter on my Elan, very happy with it - british made and washable. quote:Originally posted by Admin5:Wow. CAPS-LOCK Man strikes again !Anyone with an Exige tried/risked using an ITG filter yet ?Come on… I can’t be the guinea pig every time…