CLAMSHELLS PART 2!

Got the prices! Front shell �400, rear �500 and, if required. a hardtop with a polycarbonate rear window at �600. The panels will be top quality 3mm handlay, fully painted/laquered and ready to fit (just swap lights over).This means a full ‘EXIGE’ look alike kit for the Mark.1 at the same price as a factory hardtop! We need a minimum of 20 off each panel to ammortise the tooling to make the project fly. We can send the panels on, fit the kits at one of our Plants and send you original panels to your home by carrier, or we may be able to bring them to your preferred location and fit them there for extra cost.Give me some feedback!Rob Gibbons

Have you got any further with your CAD ‘impressions’?

I’d be interested in the CAD drawings too![email protected]

Ken, E mail me on [email protected] and I will send you a picture. Chris, I’m getting really exited about this. I have never been able to get my head round the Mk2 ‘Buck Rogers’ design and I think we could end up with a super looking car here. An open Exige - I can’t wait!

RobWould your new panels be any good for an actual exige - I’m thinking of buying a spare front and rear clam specifically for track days if the price is right.

Mike,the front will fit but the rear wont be exactly the same - we aim to eliminate the cill overlap which is the root of the stone chipping issue on the Exige. Also, within the concept of an open version, the rear clamshell will have the standard Elise upper butresses and engine cover. When the hardtop is fitted for the winter, the engine cover can be removed. It will, of course, be possible to modify the Exige into an open car!Rob

RobDefinitely would like a carbon front please.Wait to hear from you.Mike

We have had a good response and we will be doing this!. I am abroad on holiday until Monday 25th, soon after I get back I will post a timing plan, together with a parallel plan for a carbon fibre set. I think we will convert my car first (!), post photo’s on the site and make a brochure, and take it to some shows.Rob Gibbons

Isn`t the Exige wider than the Elise?

Surely you would need to increase the track to prevent the wheels being tucked too far under the wider bodyworkIf you add spacers won’t you just destroy the handling?

The measurement between the wheelarches is exactly the same on the Elise as the Exige - it’s the profile that changes. You do not need to fit Exige wheels and the Elise wheels will not look in-set.Rob Gibbons

quote:Originally posted by Rob Gibbons:The measurement between the wheelarches is exactly the same on the Elise as the Exige - it’s the profile that changes. You do not need to fit Exige wheels and the Elise wheels will not look in-set.Rob GibbonsSo the width of the front clam is the same?Weird, the Exige certainly looks wider with those bits sticking out in front of the front wheels.I guess the wheelarches don’t taper in towards the windscreen so much then.

Rob - definately interested in a front clam. I am sure if you posted this on the Lotus BBS you would have over 20 replies. Can you email me the design pics - [email protected]

From the Lotus website:Exige:Front track: (1457mm).Rear track: (1476mm).Elise:Front track: 56.7in (1440mm).Rear track: 57.4in (1458mm).The Exige is wider.

The track is - the bodyshell is not! Look at the tuck on the front wheels and you will see where the difference in front track is accomodated. The rear body width is fractionally wider in the Exige, but the overlap on the arch is substancial.We start work on Tuesday. I’ll keep you all posted.Rob Gibbons

Ok, now i understand. Sorry.