Circuit guide

Looking to start a library of one lap clips of your favourite circuits. So peeps can see what all the fuss is about. Feel free to add some comments on why you like or dislike a track. If it works it might be worth making it a sticky

Here is one to start the ball rolling my local and favourite track Knock Hill. One of those great tracks which you are still learning and getting faster after 100s of laps well worth a visit.

[image]http://i6.photobucket.com/albums/y201/jamieall/th_HotLapKnockHill.jpg[/image]

Last week I was at Dijon for the first time. F1 races used to be held here � in fact it was the scene of the alltime epic Villeneuve-Arnoux battle in 1979.

My impressions:

Not as wide as I expected for an F1 track.

More bumpy than I expected.

Takes quite a few laps to begin to learn the course � at first the series of curves seems endless .

Some nice hills (up and down).

Hitting the rev limiter in third at a few places � still sussing out where it is better to change up to fourth…

Summary: a challenging but rewarding track. I will definitely go again.

Linked video shows me chasing a 911. In the end I think he got tired of trying to hold me off:

>Dijon<

Hockenheim is a fantastic track � both the F1 circuit and the small circuit.

Very wide, great corner combinations including the famous Sachs banked 180� corner, plenty of run-off area at most critical places. A pleasure every time � though the high speed parabolica is a playground for the monster bhp cars to snap everyone up � just have to claw it back in the corners!

Here’s a clip of me chasing a mate’s 964RS RUF Turbo (420bhp) on the F1 circuit:

>Hockenheim F1 track<

The small circuit has its own charm. Fastest part is not the main straight, but the back part tha drops down to the slight left hander (that should be taken flat if you’ve gat the balls/brakes for the chicane afterwards. The linked video is from 2002 � pretty much a trackday novice back then in my Opel Speedster 2.2 (VX220):

>Hockenheim small circuit<

Speedy…does your Cup have the roll cage as well as the cut off and extinguisher?

Yep, it’s one of the original 2005 ones that were built ready-to-race � they all had it AFAIK.

Nice vid at Dijon
The black S1 exige lookind much faster in twisty parts although you killed him on the staright. Must ahve been very frustrating for him.
A friend of mine was there the same day with his (fast) black elise S2 Bemani. You might have seen him…

do you ever take the front struts of the roll cage out if you know you’re going to be using it only on the road for a while…and do you bump your head on the bar across the roof?..and is it a major pain getting in and out and getting at the winder and the light switches?

Reason I ask is that I’m deciding whether to put a Plans one in or the FIA lotus jobbie.the lotus one appeals because potentially I could take it in and out between track time if I wanted to OR at re-sale sell the car without it with new clean sill covers.

Similarly I’mlooking at alternative sightings for the cut of and extingisher buttons (currently on the panel just below the windscreed directly in front of the driver) for the same reason i.e. not having to cut into the clam?

thanks

Nice vid at Dijon
The black S1 exige lookind much faster in twisty parts

Yes, he was really quick. I hope that was because he knew the circuit better than I did and not just because of my cr@p driving!

A friend of mine was there the same day with his (fast) black elise S2 Bemani. You might have seen him…

Didn’t encounter him on track � would have been interesting to swap notes if he knows the circuit. What nationality?

do you ever take the front struts of the roll cage out if you know you’re going to be using it only on the road for a while…and do you bump your head on the bar across the roof?..and is it a major pain getting in and out and getting at the winder and the light switches?

Reason I ask is that I’m deciding whether to put a Plans one in or the FIA lotus jobbie.the lotus one appeals because potentially I could take it in and out between track time if I wanted to OR at re-sale sell the car without it with new clean sill covers.

Similarly I’mlooking at alternative sightings for the cut of and extingisher buttons (currently on the panel just below the windscreed directly in front of the driver) for the same reason i.e. not having to cut into the clam?

thanks

My cage is welded. As for ingress/egress: you get used to it Don’t use it except for fun, so I can live with it

You know where the cut-off/extinguisher switches are on the Cup � on the B-post on the left-hand side. I’ve seen other track-modded Exige/Elise with them here. The parts are probably available from Lotus Sport… at a price!

or from Plans Motorsport at a slightly lower price…

A twisty little circuit � a bit “Mickey Mouse”, but suits a light car.

Sorry about the video quality (accidentally hit the “backlight” button ):

>lap of Anneau du Rhin<