Children!

Howdy

Are there any people who have tried to fit children into the seats of an exige?

My son (nearly 6) wants to come with me to collect the car (S2) but I’m not sure if that would be wise…

so some questions if any of you have tried to strap a child into the exige…

do they fit?
can they see out?
I pressume harnesses are a no no and just three point ordinary belts?
do they need booster seats?
do they make a mess?
do they scream at high speeds?

cheers

Adrian

They will need some sort of booster seat I imagine.

Not personally, but lots of people have their kids passenger in the car. Don’t think it’s a problem, and imagine how you’d felt if your dad had taken you to pick up such a cool car.

Booster fits in mine fine for my 6 year old

…so some questions if any of you have tried to strap a child into the exige…

do they fit?
YES

can they see out?
YES with a booster seat

NO, better harness and booster seat

YES, depending on size

do they make a mess?
NO (but depends on how you drive)

YES

(When the little guy actually wants to go out) I use a Recaro Start seat with the harnesses.

He doesn’t scream at speed, just sits there looking cool.

Ian

Thanks for all the advice guys.
Will have to go find a black booster seat… can’t not have matching colours.

My worry with the harness was him slipping out from under it… unless I go for a five point one. Will have to see how it looks, but day one the harness won’t be in there anyway.

Thanks
Adrian

I have taken my 3 year old daughter in mine loads, the Willans harnesses work fine. Only concern was the hearing damage due to stage 2 exhaust!

Earplugs!

Earplugs!

Yep, I used to find them a benefit when I took my kids out in the Exige - couldn’t hear them screaming…

Earplugs!

I bought a set of Ferrari ear plugs while bored at Rome Airport last week!

(The Ferrari shop there did well out of us and a 6 hour wait for a connecting flight, ended up getting merchandise I wouldn’t dream of in the UK.Total hypocrisy because I don’t even really like Ferrari much these days precisely because they’ve cheapened the legend/brand with nasty trinkets and T shirts etc.

dread to think how much they charge…

He didn’t hear the price as he had the plugs in

i take my 6.5 year old out in my S2 all the time. He doesnt need a booster seat, enjoys the ride, and stays pretty quiet…

My 5 year old has spent loads of time in my car. Sadly he is a rather serious young fellow and prefers the comfort of my wife’s car. A bit like my wife actually. My 2 year old daughter is car mad and spends ages watching trackday footage etc. She likes standing on the driver’s seat holding the steering wheel (car parked before you protest) - she even likes driving on the xbox with a steering wheel. I am trying to set up a suitable arrangement for her in the lotus - probably will end up strapping the child seat into the elise. From about 4 or 5 years old, a booster seat is fine. There is also a little device that straps to the inertial reels to keep them slightly lower - ie avoiding a child’s neck.

Howdy

Are there any people who have tried to fit children into the seats of an exige?

My son (nearly 6) wants to come with me to collect the car (S2) but I’m not sure if that would be wise…

so some questions if any of you have tried to strap a child into the exige…

do they fit?
can they see out?
do they make a mess?

cheers

Adrian

Summary of the Seat Belt Laws for Cars, Taxis and Private Hire Cars

Child Under 3 Years of Age - Appropriate child restraint must be worn.

Child Aged 3 to 11 and under 1.5 metres (about 5 feet) in height Appropriate child restraint must be worn if available. If not, an adult seat belt must be worn.

Child Aged 12 or 13 or younger child 1.5 metres or more in height Adult seat belt must be worn if available.

Passengers over the age of 14 years Adult seat belt must be worn if available.

An appropriate child restraint is one which:

conforms to the United Nations standard, ECE Regulation 44-03
is suitable for the child’s weight and size
is correctly fitted according to the manufacturer’s instructions.
Child restraints are divided into categories, according to the weight of the children for whom they are suitable. These correspond broadly to different age groups, but it is the weight of the child that is most important when deciding what type of child restraint to use.

Retailers often describe child restraints in terms of ‘Stages’:

Stage 1 = Groups 0 and 0+
Stage 2 = Group 1
Stage 3 = Group 2
Stage 4 = Group 3

Some child restraints are capable of being converted as the child grows and, therefore, fit into more than one group or stage.

The main types are:

Rearward-facing Baby Seats
Group 0 for babies up to 10 kgs (22 lbs) roughly from birth to 6-9 months, or

Group 0+ for babies up to 13kg (29lbs) roughly from birth to 12-15 months

Forward-facing child seat
Group 1 for children weighing 9-18 kgs (20-40 lbs) roughly from 9 months - 4 years.

Booster seat
Group 2 for children weighing 15 - 25 kgs (33 - 55 lbs) roughly 4 to 6 years.

Booster Cushion
Group 3: for children weighing 22 - 36 kgs (48 - 79 lbs) roughly from 6 - 11 years.

Legal Penalties
If you are convicted of failing to wear a seat belt as a driver or passenger, you could face a fine of up to �1,000.

As a driver, if you are convicted of failing to ensure that a child passenger is using an appropriate child restraint or wearing a seat belt according to the legal requirements described above, you could face a fine of up to �1,000.

In addition to the legal penalties, failure to wear a seat belt or failure to ensure that a child passenger uses an appropriate child restraint or wears a seat belt according to the legal requirements described above, could affect any claims against your motor insurance cover.

You could also face civil proceedings for damages, if (for example) you failed to safely carry someone else’s child.

Bear in mind that the owners manual says not to carry babies/infants in the Exige. I doubt they would have any protection in a side impact…

Picked up the S2… both him and me smiling from ear to ear.

Though he did spend most of the drive home trying to press the cd eject button, and looking at the dash to see when it read 89 to tell me to go faster (hint, that’s the temperature not mph )

I tell you he’s a bad influence on me…

Yes, pictures will follow!

Adrian