Checking Oil with Accusump

Am I right in assuming that the Accusump thingy pressurises the oil in the engine and as such there is some wildly complex procedure for checking and topping up the oil?

or do I undo pour redo and drive?

all help greatfully rec’d

I’d just change the oil as usual. As long as you measure how much comes out and put the same amount back (should be 4.5 litres) you’ll be fine. After refilling just check the dipstick, run the engine briefly and repeat the dipstick check.

Are you going to drain the oil coolers too?

Surprised you didn’t get any instructions on the oil change etc, when you bought the car.

If I were you, I’d phone Lotus Motorsport & speak with Russ Gibbons - it’s not something you want to take chances with is it?

mr P I did…I have to say…but having read them once…and not having them to hand…I thought I’d ask for experience that I cld then apply to the instructions…that always helps the words off the page and into action for me…hope you dont mind…but thanks also for the contact?

No probs, mate, I’m a complete mechanical numptie myself!

I’m sure Mr Gibbons will help - if not, he’ll know a man who will

If I can remember correctly, having read the instructions for one, its not just a simple question of filling with oil to the norrmal level etc - there was a set sequence of things to do to get it right.

It’s not as simple as just checking the level. Make sure that the acusumpe is charged ~ about 40 on the dial. Remove one of the wires to the solinoid before you turn the engine off (this stops it discharging-but I can’t remember which wire at the moment) then check the level. Top up to the max level on the dip stick, then replace the wire.
When the system is discharged you should be about an inch -an inch & half OVER the max level.

The acusump doesn’t presurise the engine, it just stores about 1 1/2Ltrs for when it detects a drop in pressure, it then discharges it into the engine to boost pressure and stop any starvation. It then gradually recharges it’s self.

I’ve not put that very well, I’ll have to get a scanage of the manual as I can never remember it too well and always refer to it when checking the oil.

One thing with the acusump is that you could easily run at low levels as this system will top it up when it detects a drop in pressure…

So basically when you key off normally the sump dipstick will show ~1.5" over max and then when you drain the oil you should get about 6 litres out with a filter change.

Actually changing the oil shouldn’t be an unconventional process itself, you just have to be careful afterwards when you want to verify the level on the dipstick.

Basically yes thats it.

Pretty crappy pictures i know, but it’s the best i can do at the moment.

[image]SELOC | Lotus Enthusiasts Club

[image]SELOC | Lotus Enthusiasts Club

thx guys…like I thought…rtfm…and now it makes more sense!

btw simon…hows the brakes disk thing goin?

Interestingly I had a cyclical “warranty” type conversation with those cahps at lotus this week about the big brake kit ahead of booking mine into Plans?

btw simon…hows the brakes disk thing goin?

Interestingly I had a cyclical “warranty” type conversation with those cahps at lotus this week about the big brake kit ahead of booking mine into Plans?

I’m now on the third set of brakes, all done on warrantee so far. This last set were replaced on Friday after 9 WEEKs of asking them to inspect the car… AP Racing were in attendance and have taken the first two sets away for further testing.
I’m doing Rockingham next Monday so we’ll see if this set last any longer…

Rockingham is heavy on the brakes so I hope they stand up well for you - is that a Bookatrack day?

Rockingham is heavy on the brakes so I hope they stand up well for you - is that a Bookatrack day?

Yes Bookatrack, open pit lane.

I don’t hold out any hope for the brakes, I know they�ve been set up properly and that everything is as it should be, but if there not up to the job in the first place�
Willing to give it a fare trial though. I�ve done just over 400 miles to bed them in, and I�ll take it easy for the first couple of seasons. Inviting Lotus down as well, so that they can see the problem first hand.
Hopefully it�s fixed, hopefully it�s a dry day…