Cheap wheels / tyres

quote:Originally posted by stevegreen:Just ordered some slicks on wheels from Deans…�900 for a set…hopefully will have them tomorrow in time to fit for airfield day on Saturday.So you’re not worried about the damage slicks can cause to your uprights Steve ?

David everything worked perfectly…for occasional use no problem…I think the Motorsport Elises were having problem with uprights due to the shock loadings of riding the kerbs ala Touring Cars rather than the slicks themselves. Reliably informed that the progressive loading of slicks is well within the tolerances of the uprights…if you think about it, it has to be as the Motorsport Elises started out with them fitted!!!If I had paid �50k to race for a season i don’t think i would be too worried about riding the kerbs and damaging the car - that seems to be the philosophy.I guess I might have talked you out of a deal on those tyres of yours now…damn :wink:

Forgot to say how good it was dealing with Deans…friendly, helpful - emailed me some pics of some alternative wheels, and having placed an order at 2.55pm on Thursday when his courier arrived at 3.00pm they arrived at 11.20am the next morning - if they hadn’t of arrived i’d have been knackered for the Saturday…shame they are so far away and don’t do servicing.

quote:Originally posted by stevegreen:Reliably informed that the progressive loading of slicks is well within the tolerances of the uprights…if you think about it, it has to be as the Motorsport Elises started out with them fitted!!!But Motorsport Elises are practically rebuilt after every race.And while the uprights might be man enough for the job at any given instant, I think that continued use might not be such a good idea … Tony ?

I’ll ask my contact for you next time I speak to him…

Got myself a pair of Yokohama 225/45/17 Avs Sport 94y. The latest ones.Tread wear 180 Temperature ATraction AAIll give them a Whirl after Goodwood and let you all Know how they are. They feel very soft and the tred pattern looks very promising. The sidewalls are like concrete with massive amounts of reinforcement.Cost 227inc vat and delivery for the pair!!!

Steve was that 900 + vat or inclusive?

Keenan - plus VAT…what are you going to be running on the front whilst you run these on the rears?

quote:Originally posted by stevegreen:Keenan - plus VAT…what are you going to be running on the front whilst you run these on the rears?AO39’s what else? There are only half worn and i usualy find that my front end gives before the rear any how!Purchased a set of slicks today I couldnt resist any longer… Cant wait for Goodwood the extra grip should make up for now having the cat fitted and some! How much better was the car on slicks? Come on tell us how it was!!!

It was FAST! I had the pleasure of a run around the airfield with Steve driving and was it quick? Not 'arf!!! Steve, if you have, post the piccy of what was left of the front left slick… [image]http://www.exiges.com/ubb/NonCGI/images/icons/wink.gif[/image]

Steve you havn’t eaten them already have you?Kee [image]http://www.exiges.com/ubb/NonCGI/images/icons/grin.gif[/image][This message has been edited by Keenan Perrin (edited 18 May 2001).]

Keenan - only one…TT - have placed them straight into the garage without g/f seeing them…why would I want to take a pic that she might see!!!

You better tell yer brother to delete the pics on the digi camera then, cos he took one of them piled up afterwards… :open_mouth:

Got my slicks delivered on Friday. The rims are very badly scratched and look like they have been thrown away by lotus and the tyres are all but shot maximum 2 mm depth in places.I have spoke to Derek at deans who appears to be the boss and he has said that he has no more (he had 3 sets on Thursday) and he is going to try to get me another set for me from lotus Hopefully looking like Steve�s on Tuesday.Anyway lets see if he does! What he has said Is that if I send them back he will refund me the money, not the point really i wanted the slicks and why should I pay the postage for his naff product.

Not recommending Kwik-fit BUT they quote the following prices online inc. http://www.kwik-fit.com/dialtyre/dialform_1.asp FRONT195/50V16 MICHELIN SXGT �82.85 195/50V16 MICHELIN PILOT PRIMACY �99.00195/50V16 PIRELLI P6000 �110.45 BACK225/45V17 BRIDGESTONE RE040 �125.15225/45V17 AVON CR85 �143.05225/45V17 MICHELIN PILOT PRIMACY EL �157.20Price includes VAT, Delivery and Fitting.Does anyone have any views or experience of the practical differences of these tyres V. A039R’s?What’s the view on mixing makes front and back? Is the “V” speed rating acceptable for the rears?Given that you could reshoe the whole car for the cost of a pair of A039R at either end… what is the real trade off going to be here?

I’ve been looking into the tyre dilemma in some great detail…The best alternative fronts are P6000… I spoke to Pirelli about them and they did not recommend them on this car as they would NOT be good enough.Mixing Fronts and backs as everyone knows is a wee bit dodgy…Looks like we have no choice but to go for the Yokos.Tim

Wonder if they’d be good enough for road use? I’m thinking maybe getting some more rims with P6000s and using the Yokos for track…

No…That was the point…They are not good enough for road use.Tim

I was just checking bookatrack.com for alternative 340R tyres (Yoke 539s look promising) and tried Exige sizes out of interest. It reckons you can get Bridgestone S01 in both sizes. No idea what they are like. HTH.

Would they be SO1’s that were phased out by the S02’s which are now phased out by the S03’s or do I have my wires crossed ?