Caught!

Step daughter went to court today for no insurance - �150 and 6 points.

No MOT is normally a lesser offence…

Go and see a solicitor Ian

The justice system makes my blood boil - a few years back I got a 3 month ban and �500 fine for excess 100mph (M6, 4am as I’d been working late and a clear summers night). I had 3 points on my license at the time.

I know which I consider the greater offence

Mark

Ian,

My Mrs recently committed an offense while driving. We went to court in October last year. The means test was just a form, without need of supporting payslips/outgoing bills etc.

As my Mrs work includes shifts which can be stopped at any time, this money was not declared. The fine was still steep(ish), but no financial checks were done.

You are being honest in your guilt, you have a job, you maintain the car better than most, but unfortunately had a slight lapse in forgetting the MOT.

You aren’t a low life pleb court regular, so don’t worry. Demonstrate your honesty in a nice letter to the court, offering your well maintained car is no excuse for the offense, whilst pointing out it sailed through the MOT. You should be ok. Don’t be too worried

Cheers Tim. It’s just the nagging feeling that the honest guy ends up getting slammed (then turns bitter and has to become Batman to get even).

Ian

The majority of MOT’s are now on the central DOT computer. This allows them to check the existance of a valid MOT for your car from a motorway bridge.It also allows you to renew your road fund licence on line. If your car is on the road with no MOT— Guilty, no excusses are acceptable including just parked outside your home. Cheap solution; pay up and move on. There is no point in investing money in trying to bring about a defense it will only add to the financial pain. I hope there are no negative issues such as repeat offences or large numbers of penalty points to exacerbate your problem. Good luck

If your car is on the road with no MOT— Guilty, no excuses are acceptable

[pedant mode on] other than going to or from an MOT station where there is/was a booked test for said vehicle…or where you have completed a declaration making your vehicle MOT exempt [pedant mode off]

The majority of MOT’s are now on the central DOT computer. This allows them to check the existance of a valid MOT for your car from a motorway bridge.It also allows you to renew your road fund licence on line. If your car is on the road with no MOT— Guilty, no excusses are acceptable including just parked outside your home. Cheap solution; pay up and move on. There is no point in investing money in trying to bring about a defense it will only add to the financial pain. I hope there are no negative issues such as repeat offences or large numbers of penalty points to exacerbate your problem. Good luck

Not that there are any, but why would penalty points come in to it, it’s not about driving? I could be in this position if somebody else had been driving it, it’s the owner’s responsibility.

Despite all the means-testing nonsense, �60 + �50 costs (which annoyed me as the form said �35 costs but the govn sneak another �15 for victim protection or whatever stealth tax they’re calling this week).

Not a bad outcome but still a pointless waste of everybodies time; should just be a warning/fixed slap.

Ian

Not a bad outcome Ian, all the same.

I forgot about the victim support charge too, which will probably keep the plebs in shell suits

Victim support charge what? Such bollox