Catch Tanks

I have a small Mocal catch tank on the firewall for the breathers from the dry sump tank. Been seeing a little oil blow up there as I get the level right in the dry sump tank but now it’s more or less set the catch tank is relatively dry. But I’m still getting quite a bit of oil vapour coming out of the breathable cap. The catch tank definitely needs to breath but wondering if any of you have ideas on a better tank that would result in the vapour condensing in the tank instead of getting the engine bay dirty.

Cheers

You should put an internal baffle plate in the catch tank, with the entry pipes to the catch tank coming in below the baffle. Then your ‘vent to atmosphere’ pipe simply run to the back of the car.

The baffle could simply be a plate with a small hole in it and angle the pipes into the catch can downwards once inside the can, so any vapour is blown against the base of the catch can. The hole in the baffle should be as far away from the vent pipes as possible, then the vent to atmosphere pipe should be away from the hole in the baffle plate. Then rubber hose to the back of the car.

I hope I have explained that OK mate, it sounds ok in my head, but then I guess I know what I am trying to say.

After many years of running big boost turbo cars, I have got quite good at engine breathers and stuff.

I can confirm that Sean’s breather systems work really well … especially when you put the pipes on the right way around :blush: ( Thanks Wayne )

Cheers Sean, that all makes sense. Any ideas on where I buy one like that?

To be fair, i designed my own and had Pro Alloy make it for me. AT least then you know it is exactly how you want it.