Cat failure....

Cant belive it my car just failed its MOT. The sport cat just failed on emissions. Garage are recomending a new Lotus cat at �340 + - any one else got any bright ideas? or recommendations …

M

Borrow one (unfortunately I need mine at the mo for my own MOT), or find a testing station with a ‘better calibrated’ testing machine.

Ian

mmm … are they usually borderline at MOT ? Im wondering if they often are prone to failure or if it does need replacing - if I do replace it what is recommended ???

IIRC the 190 is very border line for MOT’s… You need to find a friendly MOT station that’ll stick the emissions jobbie up a 1.1 fiesta or something…

ahem

I didn’t say that…

its also worth making sure the CAT is nice and warm before they run the test. Sit it at 3000rpm for 5 mins before the test, that should do the job.

Thks - its off to the more MOT friendly garage - �42 down the pan…B*gger!

NB it was tested by a Lotus dealer…

Escaper - which Lotus dealer - B & C ?

I have a cat you can borrow if you want - I am in Kingston.

Cheers

Adrian

And you can get a free retest if you go back within 7 days IIRC so it may be worth borrowing a cat / heating yours up and trying again… It’ll only cost you some time

Thks Adrian for the offer much appreciated - yes it was B&C, the problem I have is that I don’t have any ramps etc… B&C would charge about �100+ to fit and remove, where as the affable guys at a certain independant garage nearby will do the job for �45 with new MOT being an extra �42, so… its still works out a few quid cheaper to go down that route…

Cheers

M

What about the O2 sensor? If the car is only used for short journeys then the CAT can get buggered by the rich mixture when cold. But ordinary it’s the O2 sensor on the blink.

If you want to borrow a CAT and ramps and the necessary tools to change the CAT, takes about 30mins if the bolts are not too badly rusted then let me know (I live in Surbiton)

Cheers all - the guys at Lakeside helped me out as I was in a bit of a rush…