Carcoon for storage

Hey all, my cars tucked up in a dry garage under a cover for the winter, but am umming and ahhing about getting a carcoon for it. The garage is ok but it’s not a mega standard and it’s looking like its going to be a wet & cold winter, and my car will be effectively stationary until the spring, I think the benefit of a dehumidified environment and the extra protection from the elements would be beneficial to keep it in a good way until it’s hibernation is over.

Has anyone any experience of them? I’ve been looking at running it via solar using leisure battery.

I bought a Cair-o-port recently and am very impressed with it to date. This is similar to the Cartoon but has an external frame. The volume flow of air is quite amazing from the fans, so inside is never stale and damp.

I had one of these for my Porsche 356 was very impressive . As long as you get one with a rigid frame they are reasonably convenient, the ones that collapse around you when the pressure drops are a pain!
ALL Loti should be permanently in a dehumidified atmosphere!

I’ve had my cars stored in a Airchamber for more than the last ten years! It will literally dry a fully wet car overnight! The air flow is amazing with these things so doesn’t allow moisture to settle on the car. Mine is fully framed so drive in drive out! And they say very cheap to run. No down sides really!!

Airchamber here too. Had it perhaps 15years, faultless, really impressed.

If you ever need to change the fans on these, they are simply 12v computer-type items. Usually they are the versions designed for use on servers so are capable of extended use. The original plugs can be kept and are a quick swap with a bit of soldering and heatshrink.

Thanks all I think my next purchase … Group buy anyone!

I have had a carcoon for years now , it’s been great , only downside is taking it off or if you want to get to your car, the ones with the frame would have easier access .

Framed Cair-o-Port on eBay (not mine, just spotted it whilst looking for something else):

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Cair-o-port-Small-/121815493491

The small one is 4.4m long so should fit an Exige in nicely. List price for a new one is around £450 so a good saving to be had :slight_smile:

Great stuff thanks Tim, location is a challenge, trying to see if he’d consider shipping, really appreciate the steer. :clap:

Half-time report…

So far the Cair-o-port has been excellent overall. The only issue, which I am sure is only due to the very wet winter this year, was some condensation on the vinyl floor of the ‘tent’.

This isn’t surprising as the low ground clearance of the car limits airflow underneath, so moisture tends to condense out due to the coldness of the concrete floor it’s standing on.

I’m pleased to say this was resolved quickly and cheaply by buying a quantity of thick foam floor tiles (£60 off ebay) and laying these across the whole space.

These have provided an excellent insulation layer and appear to have eliminated the problem.

Can’t help thinking this thread could really benefit from some photos - so those that have posted previously, especially the different types of enclosure, can you snap a few and slot them in…