Car shopping for the wife.....

Decided it was time to upgrade the Mrs runaround. She’s currently got a peugeot rcz and i can safely say it was the worst thing we did swapping from the z4 we had previously. The car has had more time in the dealers in the last 3 years than I can count on my hands and feet
Went out this morning and had a full day of it round the dealers. Managed to narrow it down to these 3.
Bmw 235i
Vw golf r
Mercedes a45 amg.

Out of them all I have to say I prefer the look of the merc untill we looked at a used one outside with 19k on the clock. Jesus, the leather had come away from the seat and it looked worse than my last works car that had 120k on the clock
The Bmw wasn’t bad but the interior on bmw hasn’t changed much in the last 10 years from when she had a z4 and didn’t want the same.

I’m going back tomorrow to test drive the golf as we could only start the one today in the showroom and the demonstration car was with a director today. Made the right noises though, have to see how it goes

Enjoy your test drive Kieran, I must say I do like the VW Golf. :slight_smile:

Cheers Pete,

It looks good just waiting to get out in it.
It’s not normally a car we would consider but it just caught our eye. Just trying to work out how much it’s going to cost me in depreciation over the next 3 years.

Golf R seams to be crazy cheap on contact hire at round £200+vat per month so might be worth looking at the PMT/PPI/PCM or whatever its called for none business buyers Kieran.

The lease deals on the Golf have been amazing, but got to wonder what that will mean when the market is flooded second hand in 2 to 3 years. Good deals to be had then too.

Example deal:

http://forums.seloc.org/viewthread.php?tid=400020

235+Vat per month. Not the best deal there has been.

Made it back,

Cheers for the replies, yeah I had seen some good deals but she wants to own it so she’s looking to buy outright.

The car drives great, makes a awesome noise in race mode with the exhaust valves open. The level of grip in damp conditions was also impressive round national speed limit islands. It did clear one thing up on the dsg or manual dilemma though. Going to go for a Manual, the shifting on the dsg was incredible but it’s going to be a Manual.

We’ve found orangewheels website which offer massive discounts on list which I’ve contacted but that will depend on the factory waiting list at present.

We got mega good price on Christine’s TT from orangewheels and an Audi dealer in midlands matched it.

235i gets my vote

I was a little unsure but I’ve just spoken to a friend who bought his through orange wheels, he had to buy his from Swindon but he said it was worth it.

Weren’t the last couple of R versions the lowest deprecating cars about?

But you need to add about a third to the price to make it reasonable and do you need such a weapon for shopping? I’m going to drive one to compare a S1 against, it won’t be as good but fun enough for around town.

Yeah from previous models I’m looking at around 40% loss against the vw otr price.

She’s loves her cars, it will be mainly used to get her to Royces and back everyday. Seeing as she seems to be doing 13 hour days at present she wanted something fun to cheer her up after work and practical that didn’t mind spending it’s life on the drive, otherwise she would of had a evora.

If you are considering the R don’t discount the S3, same basic underpinnings, I think the S3 actually had a better ride, not sure how they will stack up on residuals over time
As for price use drive the deal orange wheels etc to drive the dealers price, but they are always worth a few £s as you have a face to shout at when it isn’t working out :wink:
Got £5k off my new Q3 that way :smiley:

Get her an S2, perfect for girls. :wink:

Still Hunting.
After driving the s3 l Ade, she prefers the look of the golf and the interior of the s3. Driving both they both felt very similar although the golf had a nicer sound in the cabin when in race mode.
What it came down to though was that she wants a manual and after looking for both there doesn’t appear to be any manual s3’s available .

I had a long Chat with a great salesman in vw yesterday. New car slots are all full for 27 -32 weeks spec and door depending. The biggest issue is that the r has now been on the market for 12 months. All the great deals they did on pcp are coming up to the mileage and flooding the used market. Lease companys are wanting the same price they paid list and thus people are wanting to order a brand new one rather than a year old car with 5-6k miles for the same money.

That’s it all done.

It will be here end of July.

Had a few extras, winter pack, dyn audio, nav, parking camera and panoramic roof. As well as the usuals Xenons dab etc.

Managed to get 10% off at my local dealership when i put another dealers car wow quote infront of them.

Nice bargaining there

Which seats did you go for?

Salesman told me that had a big impact on re-sale value.

yeah you’d want the RS style seats IMO

Cheers,

Had the standard seats in leather with winter pack. The rs seats were £2600 so gave them a miss sadly.

Had the quick clear screen aswell which makes it a little easier in the morning

£2600

**** that!