Car re think

Well, I’m just not sure what to do, the Clio has deeply annoyed me, it is being fixed, but I’m not sure if I’ll like it anymore.

After 8 months and 3000 miles the TT RS is going, I just don’t drive it, the new S3 cabriolet Jacqui wanted just means it is not being used at all, it is too fast for my local roads as there is always traffic, it is not good enough to be a track car and would be super expensive to use anyway.

So, with that in mind, I did consider selling the Type 79 S1 Elise, but someone said I would be divorced so that is staying.

If I have fallen out with the Clio and I sell it, what to buy?

Don’t want another S2 as it will always need to be like my old one, so I need to cross that off the list,

An S1 Exige I just don’t think works, too much like the Elise so it won’t get used and maybe a bit too fragile for track work anyway.

Caterham track car, can’t really afford storage and I don’t get enough time for track days to justify a track only car anyway, Caterham road car is a maybe

2 eleven, this is a really interesting option, it can be used on a nice day, I can take it on track, but it is a huge investment to make as they seem to be £40k

I do want something that is not likely to bleed money away over the next few years too, not saying I want to make money as none of us have crystal balls, just not depreciate like a stone the second I buy it for the next few years

Surely the solution is a vaguely interesting daily - that won’t break down - and rent something for the track days you do?

Not having a dig, but a £40k 2-11 gets you something interesting to get you to the track and back - have you considered a TTRS? :wink: - and lots of Caterham/Clio/Swift rentals on track without having to worry about storage/fixing/one wheel drive/etc?

Go sit in a Caterham. Then park it next to the front/side of a 40t truck. As good as they are on track, they are pretty terrifying on the road against anything else in the modern world. And they’re still too fast for most roads anywhere remotely populated.

Have a go in an Up GTi and see if you like it. It is pretty agile and nimble, cheap to buy and run. Of course you shouldn’t expect anything like true sports car performance. But the little GTi has a beautiful balance between every day usability and fun to drive.
My wife and I are frequently dashing to the drive door because the winner gets the driver seat :smiley:

Which Clio do you have Ade? What is wrong with it? I run turboRenault.co.uk :grin::grin::see_no_evil:

Just can’t justify leaving the TT RS sitting on the drive, as much fun as it is, and it is silly fast. I can never be bothered to move the S3 Cabriolet to drive it, as you say maybe to go to the odd track day each year, but still the wrong choice.

That is a very good point about the Caterham on the road, just too scary I suspect.

Maybe renting is the way forwards, especially if the day can be shared with someone else, the S3 makes a very good car and the Elise can be used for high days and holidays.

Finally, the Up GTi might be worth a look as a replacement for my station hack which is a 20 year old Fiesta!

What is it about Clio’s and Lotus? I’m on my 3rd Clio and all together there have been at least 5 here… :clap:

I have been a serial Renault owner.
5GT turbo
21 Turbo
Clio Turbo ( conversion )
Megane R26 …

We must really like poorly made cars …

Poorly made? My current Clio (2001, 1.2, 16v) is just over 211000 miles (yes really…) and still going strong :slight_smile:

I had a 1.6 RSi first, then a Mk.1 V6 after that.

I’ve owned a 172 Cup, 182 trophy.

Folks had a Megane 250, Clio 197 and Mum’s still got her 200.

Ade, what about a Zenos?

Engines are brilliant on the Renaults! Its everything else that is generally not great. I still love the brand though!

Hmmm…V6 chassis dynamics left a lot to be desired, but it was as a result of deficiencies in that department that I bought my Exige S1 so not all bad!

Phase 1? By TVR?

I was speaking to ( via a thread ) one of the guys who worked on the suspension and he said the same. He also commented on how to make it better.

I feel you have a better all around package in the s1 though.

Now that’s not what you’ll hear in an F1 paddock :slight_smile:

Well if the Clio is for sale my Hungarian mate could be interested. He enjoyed watching the two of you in front of us on the way to Anglesey :smiley: as did I - it was like following 2 smarties/m&m’s!

This is why I bought the 340R.
Getting cooked in the exige killed the fun for me. An Elise is too ‘normal’ for a special car, a 211 is not pretty enough and a K is more interesting. Don’t believe the hype prices. They are realistically 30-40k not more and they are most unlikely to depreciate.

The red one suits you sir :slight_smile:

Well its faster than the 340R right now :joy:

The engine is back from it’s health camp holiday and has still to go back in.
Sooooon :heart_eyes:

a 340r might be an option, should be depreciation free, but the 190hp K does worry me whereas the 2-11 does have a more likely to be reliable yota engine in
The Clio might be for sale, but now it has a proper diff in, I might yet fall in love with the mad green thing, also given what it is worth it is quite depreciation free as well :wink:

Try an Evora Ade.

Another option to consider :smiley:

3Eleven, Just saying…