Buying Exige - What upgrades?

Having seen the s2 Exige, I’m planning on getting an s1.
Can anyone help me decipher which mods are best for my circumstances?

Coming from a Liz s2 111s (std apart from usual “noisy” bits, Nitrons/OZ’s/48’s), going to be 50% track 50% road.

Good to haves:

1. Any colour apart from Black (no offence, Liz is black, want a change)
  2. 190 bhp
  3. Harnesses (Am I right in thinking that these weren’t std?)
  4. Having got used to the Nitrons etc would be nice to have again (or is the Exige std sus as good?)

I know it sounds bad but one of the reasons I’m selling the s2 (apart from the obvious performance upgrade) is that I see the Exige s1 as a future classic and a better place to have my money, what are your (honest) opinions of the impending s2 Exige. I guess from my own actions (getting the s1) could give a clue to future residuals?

I’ve had a look though the “ForSale/Wanted” section but if anyone is selling please let me know.

Jamber

After being unable to realistically afford an Exige (I settled for an Elise 160 instead) I was quite hopeful about the S2 Exige, seeing it as a possible upgrade at a later date.

However, after reading a few initial “previews” of the S2 Exige, most recently in Evo this month, I think I’ll stick to wanting an S1.

On looks alone (and yes, I understand the S2 is not finalised) the S1 stomps all over it for ‘hardness’, for want of a better word . The S2 is too soft and pleasing on the eye. The S1 Exige looks like it wants to hurt you.

I’m not overly impressed with the choice of the Toyota lump, either…

They seem to be moving away from its track-biased nature to more of a fast road car, what with ABS, Servos, Electric windows and Air-Con (all of which appear to be standard)

I think the “Smart money” will be on the S1. I know cars are technically the worst investment you can make with you money, but I can see the prices staying pretty stable after the S2 comes out, and becoming more highly valued/prized than the S2 - especially with the S2 Exige set to be in higher production, and possibly more “common”.

The S2 is more of an American car, if you look at all the extra equipment…

It will almost be indistinguishable from a Caddilac…

The original rules - OK ???

Jamber,

Harnesses weren’t standard but I would have thought they�re a must for the track and certainly add to the race car experience. Can be retro-fitted to a car without them and the fact could be used to drop the price of a purchase and if the std belts were then kept with a harness, providing an easier ‘down the shops’ method of buckling up.

Personally, I would have thought the std suspension was good enough for 50% road 50% track. It is adjustable but I don’t know many who’ve played with it. Nitrons seem to be a good way to go if you do change, especially as there are a few here who could provide suggestions.

What do you mean by OZ’s? If wheels, then I think you’ll find most use the originals, especially as alternatives are rather hard to find. There use to be a Mag option from Speedline but I don’t think they do those anymore.

As for our opinions on the S2, check here:-

http://www.exiges.com/ubbthreads/showflat.php?Cat=&Number=17327&page=0&view=collapsed&sb=5&o=&fpart=1

http://www.exiges.com/ubbthreads/showflat.php?Cat=&Number=16863&page=1&view=collapsed&sb=5&o=&fpart=1

http://www.exiges.com/ubbthreads/showflat.php?Cat=&Number=16913&page=1&view=collapsed&sb=5&o=&fpart=1

Other mods you should undertake, especially for the track, are braid brake lines and good fluid (eg. SRF). A quick-change mech for the gears is also good.

I’d like to think residuals aren’t going to be too much of an issue from here on in. Perhaps the S2 will knock them a little but the largest difference is always likely to be winter. Nobody buys trackday cars then, so you could wait until December and see if you can save a grand or two.

Ian

Jamber

there are many upgrade paths for the K-series engine. My advice would be to get a standard car, drive it on Road & Track fro a while and loiter around this BBS after having searched it for about 2-weeks because you will find out everything you need to know that way.

The exige suspension as standard is better than an elise, its not adjustable tho’ (IDG? explain yourself !! ) and I believe NITRON is the way to go if you want/need to change.

As IDG says… Harnesses ain’t standard but are an easy retrofit (the lotus harness/sports seat option was �1000 at the time)

Brake upgrade as IDG says but add Pagid RS14’s to that list.

Happy Hunting

The exige suspension as standard is better than an elise, its not adjustable tho’ (IDG? explain yourself !! ) and I believe NITRON is the way to go if you want/need to change.

I thought the suspesion was adjustable. I haven’t played with it but I thought you could stiffen it up by playing with those big screw thingies on shocks.

Pagids - Doh! Of course! Nice pick-up Rox.

As for engine upgrades - Honda!

Ian

I thought the suspesion was adjustable. I haven’t played with it but I thought you could stiffen it up by playing with those big screw thingies on shocks.

Pagids - Doh! Of course! Nice pick-up Rox.
Ian

Cheers IDG (or should i call you Junior ?? )

The spring pre-load platform looks like it can be wound up and down (and it can… but that’s not really adjustable suspension… well it is… but its not really… kinda thing) and on our cars its not something you would mess around with (don’t think they are calibrated so it would be difficult to match left/right/front/rear if you started). What you are looking for (usually) is adjustable bump and rebound damping which our cars don’t have as standard.

no duobt prof scuffam will comment if he’s loiterin round 'ere.

Cheers guys, been looking around and most seem to be missing harnesses. Also quite a few std cars about, I can see how this would appeal to some, but as I want to track the car and having P’d quite a bit of money away on the Liz it would be nice to get some mods.

Going to see some on Saturday including this one, appreciate some comments on it

http://www.virtual-showroom.co.uk/scripts/stockList/vehicleDetail.asp?laf=SHOWROOMLNKS&dealer=8880&vehicle=195&ss=

Jamber

Going to see some on Saturday including this one, appreciate some comments on it

It’s orange!

Seriously though, probably best thing you can do is speak to the previous owner. If it was a “Lotus” owned car, was it used on the road, or was it a driver training car? Check out the brake hoses - are they stainless steel braided or are they the originals?

I believe that there are a few cars around for sale at the mo, which were previously used at Jonathan Palmers facility, & which have been resprayed/tarted up at the factory. I’m not saying that this is one of them, because I simply do not know!

Good luck & caveat emptor.

It’s Orange!

Just needed that confirmed as it’s hard to tell in the pics

I guess “lotus owned” could mean demonstrator?

Jamber

It’s orange!

I think that looks quite good on track.

Ian

I notice that the dealer describes it as a convertible / cabriolet… (and of course it is neither!!)

Personally I would be cautious buying a car from such a knowledgeable dealer

It does look like the kinda place you’d find a dubious motor, gotta be worth a spin though, as I haven’t sold my Liz yet my only option at the moment is Trade.

Thanks for the input one and all, will let you know how it went.

Jamber

hi jamber,
i have an immaculate track biased exige for sale,you can view the details in the for sale/wanted section under wanted exige by northeee.

cheers karl.