Buying advice

Morning all. I’m not a lotus newbie - but I concede I am in terms of an exige . I’ve had my S1 Liz since September 2005 and am thinking of upgrading to a S1 exige. In terms of what I want - it would be the performance pack equivalent, Namely: sports seats & harnesses etc, 190 upgrade a bonus. What else should I be looking for as a pretty track oriented zeege of S1 origin? I think I’m right in saying there aren’t too many varients of the S1?

Cheers,

Greg

I think you have covered the main areas . Motorsport pack and 190 kit (worth checking that the cam timing has been checked and that it’s actually giving 190BHP) !! It’s worth looking for one with Nitron suspension as it transforms the handeling and isn’t cheap to buy.
The rest is just usual car stuff ie best conditioned, lowest mileage for the right price… I think that most S1 Exiges will have been tracked at some point, which in my view is not a bad thing as a high percentage of trackday folk are normally motorsport orientated and understand the ethos behind mechanical sympathy. They tend to be over serviced and will have better quality components fitted; also they will normally have had any set up issues addressed…

Good luck with your hunt for a good one as i believe that will be the hardest job of all -

Look carefully at one with “190 upgrade” and see how many of the following items it has:

• 190 ECU
  • 82 degree thermostat
  • 190 pulley set
  • breather kit (with catch tank)
  • Sports exhaust

otherwise, seats; harnesses (check how the lap belts have been fixed to the seat/floor); brakes (s/steel hoses, upgraded pads, upgraded discs, upgraded fluid); and uniball toelinks for heavy track use on AO48s.

The biggest problem is finding cars for sale, & unlikely that any of them will tick all the boxes. Most who buy, & sort them, fall in love with them & won’t sell. Prominent exception is Mr Admin

yours would do Pesky

No, I think you need to look for a good one

Well, I’ve found a pretty good 'un. The no-picture one on PH is on 14k miles, and has pretty much not been driven in the last year. Its standard 177 spec and without harnesses But it may be worth a pop in any event.

The really shocking thing is the fact my insurance will actually go down(!) from the virtually standard elise that I run now!!

That’s because Exige owners are renowned for being utter driving Gods and never behave like fools.

\

Its standard 177 spec and without harnesses But it may be worth a pop in any event.

Don’t let that put you off in the slightest - it just means that you can enjoy the pleasure of fitting the bits and be safe in thr knowledge that the upgrades are exactly how you want them.

Sometimes a blank canvas is better than someone else’s masterpiece

Its standard 177 spec and without harnesses But it may be worth a pop in any event.

Don’t let that put you off in the slightest - it just means that you can enjoy the pleasure of fitting the bits and be safe in thr knowledge that the upgrades are exactly how you want them.

Sometimes a blank canvas is better than someone else’s masterpiece

Exactly Get one and start making it your own.

Mine was absolutely boggo standard when I bought it three years ago…now it’s,…errrr not

I have recently seen this car if you want an unbiased view send me a pm to avoid any situations like the car from Newcastle.

buy an S2

esh too sounds like a cold coming on