Buying a 2004 Exige ?

Hello everybody,

one possibility for me is to buy ( to a lotus dealer) one of the first S2 exige :
July 2004, 20.500 kms (12800 miles), touring pack, A/C.
Seems in very good state.
The car was first used as a demo model by the dealer, then sold to a serious owner who sell it to buy an exige S.
Used too on one occasion by the dealer for tests with journalists.
Tyres are not yoko 048, but Dunlop instead !

Price difference with a new car is 6000 � ( = �4000 ).

What do you think of that ?
Is it a good deal or better to buy a new one ?

What kind of problems could I have with a 2004 model ?

Thank you for your help.

I recently bought a 2004 Exige, from a dealer, and the price difference between new and used was waaay more than 4k - more than twice that. But thats in UK, and I have no idea how many S2 Exiges there are used for sale in France.

Seems expensive on paper.

Should fetch �25-26k at a dealer. New car is �35k ish
Look on Plans Motorsport site, they have one for sale with performance pack and air con.

The dude is in France?

The dude is in France?

quality - PMSL at that

sorry just got a wierd sense of humour

Should fetch �25-26k at a dealer. New car is �35k ish
Look on Plans Motorsport site, they have one for sale with performance pack and air con.

yes the price for the 2004 car is 39.000/40.000 � (that’s 26.000 GBP).
But I can have a good discount on a new car (and I would take sport pack, cheaper than touring pack), that’s why there’s only a difference of 4000 GBP (or 6000 �).

Is the color and spec up to your requirements??? I think that’s the first question. If not, does the price difference make up for this? If not, buy new.

Nico

Is the color and spec up to your requirements??? I think that’s the first question. If not, does the price difference make up for this? If not, buy new.

Nico

well,
for color : this is an Ice blue (rare on an Exige, isn’t it ?)and I wanted to buy a new polar blue, so it could be ok.
for specs : I wanted sport pack and there is a touring pack on this one. This is a shame for sport seats …There is a harness bar with “road harnesses” (not the 3’’ FIA approved).
My dealer is ok for replacing tyres for free (yoko instead of dunlop) and harnesses for the cost difference (maybe 150 � / 100 GBP).

So what do you think ?
I’m a little bit worried about the first miles of the car (see top of the page): could it be a real problem with the engine or something else

thank you

for color : this is an Ice blue (rare on an Exige, isn’t it ?)and I wanted to buy a new polar blue, so it could be ok.

be careful that “rare” is not dealer speak for unpopular!

I’m a little bit worried about the first miles of the car (see top of the page): could it be a real problem with the engine or something else

You should be able to obtain copies of any print outs from the OBD to see if the engine has been caned to an extent that you would not be happy with or may even invalidate any future claim. Journalists and demo drivers are not reknowned for warming things up or running things in

Indeed, if the dealer can’t or won’t provide them, I would vote with your feet!

Wouldn’t bother about the car being a ex-demo car, since the previous owner enjoyed many miles. (Does the dealer still have the first service printout??)

As for package differences the real important parts you’re missing out on are 2nd oil-cooler and traction control. If you’re not planning to track the car much, I’d say you can do without the 2nd oil cooler. Traction control is a very personal thing.

If the feeling is right, I’d say go for it. Milage is still low and there probably aren’t many 2nd hand around.

“be careful that “rare” is not dealer speak for unpopular!”

no, don’t worry, it was a personnal remark : I always like this colour on the Elise and I saw an Ice blue Exige one month ago and like it too !
This colour seems popular in GB, but not in France (only 2 Exige sold by the main french dealer).

“You should be able to obtain copies of any print outs from the OBD
Indeed, if the dealer can’t or won’t provide them, I would vote with your feet!”

what is OBD ?

Thank you

As for package differences the real important parts you’re missing out on are 2nd oil-cooler and traction control. If you’re not planning to track the car much, I’d say you can do without the 2nd oil cooler. Traction control is a very personal thing.

If the feeling is right, I’d say go for it. Milage is still low and there probably aren’t many 2nd hand around.

The car will be used for 5/6 track days each year and on the road during week ends.
traction control really useful on track ?
And yes there’s not a lot of 2nd hand Exige in France …
That’s why the other choice is a new car with 2006 specs.

To be honest, I’m worried about something else with a new one : I like Ice blue on this car, but never seen Polar blue in the flesh.
I’m afraid to be disappointed if the colour is too different …

To be honest, I’m worried about something else with a new one

That would be the depreciation then?

OBDII On-Board Diagnostics II (vehicle diagnostic system)

Depending on how it is setup it may do some or all of the following:

MODE 1: On-board test results, Fuel system status, Fuel trims, Engine load, Coolant temperature, Manifold Pressure, Engine Rpm, Vehicle speed, Timing advance, Intake air temperature, Intake air flow rate, Throttle position, Secondary air status, Oxygen sensor voltages.
MODE 2: This mode retrieves certain data that was saved as a “Freeze frame” at the instant the vehicle set a diagnostic trouble code (DTC).
MODE 3: Reports Powertrain diagnostic trouble codes (“P” codes), including manufacturer specific codes which are reported under this mode.
MODE 4: Clears diagnostic trouble codes. It also clears the result of continuously and non-continuously monitored on board test results (modes 5 and 6), as well as freeze frame data.
MODE 5: Reports On board Oxygen sensor test results.
Most vehicles perform background diagnostics on the oxygen sensors and this mode reports the results. Many vehicles use mode 6 instead to report these results.
MODE 6: Reports On board (non-continuously monitored) test results. This mode reports the results of various tests that the vehicle has performed.
MODE 7: Reports On board monitoring results for continuously monitored systems. These are similar to mode 3 trouble codes, but they are set after a single driving cycle. Sometimes they are called “pending” trouble codes.

Thus it holds “blackbox” data that the manufacturer can use to see just how you have been using the car.

Very interesting !
Thank you Stevegreen, i didn’t know that …
( and thank you too 'cause I learn what mean “to vote with one’s feet” today …)

I don’t worry about depreciation on a new car : I hope to keep it more than 2 years … and we don’t buy these toys to do business anyway, do we ?

I don’t worry about depreciation on a new car : I hope to keep it more than 2 years … and we don’t buy these toys to do business anyway, do we ?

That’s a good attitude, and I would not knock it…except to say that any money saved on initial purchase gives a bigger budget to invest in aftermarket toys

The colour should be Glacier blue, 4-5 cars in this colour world wide, one in the UK and thats my Exige.
Glacier blue was stoped after one month of production on the first Exige S2s because there was a problem with the spray time on this colour and has now been replaced by the new Polar blue.
I have had an Elise S2 in Ice blue and just ordered an Exige S in the darker polar blue but the best blue is still Glacier and also the best colour for the Exige S2 .
Some pics of my Exige : http://www.homepage.mac.com/paulnorth1/PhotoAlbum9.html

To be honest, I’m worried about something else with a new one : I like Ice blue on this car, but never seen Polar blue in the flesh.

There is a Glacier Blue Exige for sale at Bell and Colville at the moment. Looks nice but not particularly hard core.

The colour should be Glacier blue, 4-5 cars in this colour world wide, one in the UK and thats my Exige.
Glacier blue was stoped after one month of production on the first Exige S2s because there was a problem with the spray time on this colour and has now been replaced by the new Polar blue.
I have had an Elise S2 in Ice blue and just ordered an Exige S in the darker polar blue but the best blue is still Glacier and also the best colour for the Exige S2 .
Some pics of my Exige : > http://www.homepage.mac.com/paulnorth1/PhotoAlbum9.html

There is a Glacier Blue Exige for sale at Bell and Colville at the moment. Looks nice but not particularly hard core.

not visible on their website
only 2 magnetic blue exige …
Do you have some pics ?

Well, it’s done : I buy this car !
Going to get it next friday.
Before that, some upgrades will be done by the dealer :
new 048 (instead of dunlop), new pagid RS14, new racing 5.1 brake liquid, stage 1 sport exhaust (stage 2 is really too louder for me), 3" harness, change of the gear lever if necessary, full service (including A/C), change the stick/jack which maintain the rear hood open (how do you call it ?).

One year warranty anyway …

And now it’s hard to sleep on night waiting for next week end !

Nice one! I have had my 2004 exige almost a month now, you`ll love it!