Brakes!!!!!

Well, I started my brake upgrade. For those interested I’m going to keep track of the progress on my website. Not much will happen until next week (still need some parts). If you want to see photos of the brakes check: http://www.lotussource.com/lsGallery/exige/brakes/brakeupgrade.htm Enjoy.Royps. What is the slave cylinder for??

Say Roy,Ain’t that a rear catcher off of a Honda HRD535 in that there photo?Phil GT [image]http://www.exiges.com/ubb/NonCGI/images/icons/wink.gif[/image]

If you need pics of the finished product, let me or beto know and we can snap some pics for you.

W140, you got it!meat - Thanks for the offer, I may need that! I got the basics but I am confused by a few things. I have a “infinate” bias adjustment (not a lever type), that’s pretty good I guess. I do not understand why I have a slave cylinder?? Do you have a slave somewhere in your system??ThanksRoy

RoyI’m not sure of the slave issue - I haven’t paid that much attention yet. Unfortunately, I won’t be out near the car for about a week - maybe beto can check into this.But, on the bias control - you have the screw type adjuster?? If so, beto and I just ordered these and we will both be installing them this winter.

Hey,Solved the slave issue, it is a new clutch slave cylinder and bracket. I have been told that some of the older brackets brake under load so they ship a new one and a new slave. I not going to worry about with the brakes…Yep, it did come with the AP screw type. I read the book and it says that the screw type provides infinite adjustment, not just the 7 positions…Royps. If you can take photos I would appreciate it. My specific questions would be:1. You only have a single hydraulic line running from the MC into the cockpit to the bias adjustor, then to the rear of the car right?2. When the line gets to the rear, there is a simple splitter that runs to each brake right??The reason I ask is that the kit does not come with hard brake lines, I have to make those. In addition, I cannot find any reference to the Motorsport stuff in the parts or service books…[This message has been edited by Roy W. Olivier (edited 03 February 2003).]

Cripes!!!Do you still have slaves in the States - I thought you abolished that kind of thing years ago! [image]http://www.exiges.com/ubb/NonCGI/images/icons/wink.gif[/image]

RoyJust looked at the pics.They sent you new rear calipers? Why didn’t you just use your original fronts??

Roy,sorry I am late to the thread. Answers are yes to both questions:1. You only have a single hydraulic line running from the MC into the cockpit to the bias adjustor, then to the rear of the car right?Yes, and it runs the left frame rail througout the interior. The line is attached to the rail via little plastic clips, pictures to follow soon.2. When the line gets to the rear, there is a simple splitter that runs to each brake right??The line leaves the valve, runs the frame rail to the back, wraps around behind the driver’s seat to the center where it hits a simple splitter - it looks identical to the one shown on page 2 in section JH of the Lotus Service Notes manual - take a picture of yours and we’'ll compare.The biggest challenge is the pressure has to be rear-biased out of the Master Cylinder, so that when the knob is fully open, you get rear bias.Documentation - I have asked Mr. Russell Gibbons at Motorsport for diagrams, but he isn’t finding any. I did post a request on the Lotus Life board that was answered, but it was more instructional info, sans good illustrations. I’ll followup over email. SO, Russell said to talk to John - the former race chassis guy as per my last email to you.Slave Cylinder. Looks like you got it sussed, I assume you have the Service Notes. Refer to section QF page 2 and pg 6 for more info - the clutch section does a far better job than the brake section in explaining how the whole hydraulic system works.