Brake - throttle diference

After installed new brakes, its almost imposibble to H&T… The difference between brake and throttle pedal is almost 5 cm… And I have to push the throttle pedal 1 cm before it starts to respond…

So my ? is… what is “normal” distance between brake and throttle pedal?? 3 cm?? and what should the “dead” travel be for the throttle pedal ??

Guess I must adjust the throttle pedal soon…

I don’t understand, why would changing the brakes effect the throttle? I think mine has a small dead area at its start.

When you say ‘changing the brakes’ do you just mean pads? It shouldn’t have changed the brake pedal that much.

Ian

I don’t understand, why would changing the brakes effect the throttle? I think mine has a small dead area at its start.

When you say ‘changing the brakes’ do you just mean pads? It shouldn’t have changed the brake pedal that much.

Ian

Well… I have change both the pads and the discs… I had worn out pads (brembo)… I guess they might have been 4 mm at the best, and before I changed them I had 0mm left … So I changed to Rs 14… Quite a different in felling (need a lot less travel to lock the tyres)…

Of course the throttle response has always been the same, but since I had bad brakes I could H&T… But now with new brakes its almost imposible since I need a lot less braketravel to brake…
And I think 5 cm difference (6 cm with “dead” travel) sounds a bit to much… or is it suppose to be like that???

Its not like that - you most likely have a very badly adjusted throttle cable or the pivot under the dash is badly worn - either way the first thing to do is get someone to put their foot right down on the throttle pedal and then see if you can move the spindle on the throttle bodies to open the throttlke even more - I bet you can and that means you have never been getting full throttle …

Hi Niceguy - I have noticed that on both my Elise and Exige that the throttle bell crank pivot nyloc nut works it’s way loose over time.

This will have the effect of increasing the throttle pedal travel/play. Obviously it will now be worse if your brake pedal travel is less than it was.

Just reach under the dash and feel if theres lots of movement on the crank other than the intended directions (forwards and backwards).

Tighten the nut down to the stop. I dont think it’s possible to nip up the crank.

Hope you understand - it’s a crap description and it might not even be part of the problem but worth a look

cheers

Simon

niceguy

sounds like you need to do some headstands in the drivers footwell and sort out your throttle pedal/cable abutment assembly. You shouldn’t have any free movement - and deffo not the amount you mention.

Thanks for all the advice…

Have just readjust the throttle travel… And H&T is so much easyer now …

But the best thing I discover was that the throttle bodies has never been 100% open… Its a bit hard to say how much in %, but it was missing maybe 5mm travel on each side of the valves… 80-85 % maybe ???..

Im a bit curious how much this will slow down the car … But I will test this out later today (0-60 0-100mhp) and on Sunday to compare lap times… I really hope I can notice the difference

common problem niceguy…

you now have free bhp …

glad you have it sorted.