Brake Pads: Performance Friction PF01 v Pagid RS14

It was a real nightmare. Tried virtually everything WD-40, boiling water, wonder wheels, industrial oven cleaner, citrus cleaner, you name it I threw a bucket of it over them. In the end I had to scrape it off with a screwdriver and 1/4" chisel very, very carefully. Then I found the best thing to get the lower layers off was a scotchbrite pad, warm water and Jif (or Cif as thet call it now).

This ended up with a clean wheel but a very matt finish and lots of fine scratches so the next thing was to repolish them which I did with a generic polish (Sonus I think), then a couple of coats of Autoglym SRP followed by a couple of coats of wheel wax.

In all it was best part of a day per wheel with lots of breaks because it’s so tedious.

In all it took me nearly 5 days to sort all four wheels out. The one in the picture wasn’t the worst.

Be very interested to hear an honest answer to “will this happen again?”

If it is then TBH I’ll be changing pads again despite the undoubted effectiveness when it comes to stopping the car.

PMSL :smiley:

Tony, yep first time with them on first trackday was wet had all that but now everytime I wash my car I take the wheels off and totally cover them with SuperGuard or Autoglym alloy wheel protector and have not had a problem since. No where near as much of a deposit left and what is there comes off with soapy water.

Oh dear. I think it’s a function of how wet the trackday is and what circuit it is (how much heavy braking). So Bedford has quite a few big stops and it was really really wet and the results are not pretty.

My pads are not new and my wheels were thoroughly waxed and on a dry day then no problem it just wipes off. I’ll clean 'em up this time and put a load of wheel wax on but like 21TonyK if it happens again I may have to consider trying summat else,…or get some wet trackday wheels that I don’t care if they get covered in clag.

I’m also seeing if I can get ‘Sponsored by Wonder Wheels’ sorted for 2010 :wink:

Sounds like I just need to keep cleaning! Any comments on disc wear with these? Mine certainly look “used” after a couple of TDs. Will need new ones soon’ish I reckon but do the PF pads have a tendancy to eat through discs?

I’ve done 2 ‘seasons’ on OEM discs and PF01’s and there is still plenty of the disc left.

Suspect mine are just on their way out, 15K miles and 8 track days. Time for an upgrade :smiley:

Suspect mine are just on their way out, 15K miles and 8 track days. Time for an upgrade :smiley: [/quote]

Tony yep mine last year 13k 15 td’s

edit to say durr could be 20 odd tds actually but my rears were cracked and well due.