Brabham BT62R

Brabham have unveiled the roadgoing version of their previously track-only BT62:

Personally I like it, but the price tag’s a little too hefty and, anyway, I don’t think my S1 would like to share garage space with it :thumbup:

Too big
Too heavy

Spare part availability will be zero

Pointless exercise. Would have been better for the historic name to put all the spend onto an F1 team co-investment and sold t-shirts etc basrd on that. Better to be well known by thousands of growing kids than a couple aging sheiks.

I saw the R version at LM last year. I thought it looked superb.

I am not in their demographic to buy one but I would certainly test drive on if I had the cash.

Don’t hold back, Pierre!
Saw it at Goodwood FoS Last year and thought it was rather splendid much to my surprise.

Don’t hold back, Pierre!
Saw it at Goodwood FoS Last year and thought it was rather splendid much to my surprise.

So good, I posted it twice :unamused:

970kg too heavy? Really?

As the family have the naming rights, it is surely their decision to go in this direction. Putting money into F1 would be a cost-centre of epic proportions, where BT62 production is a profit-centre and therefore much more logical, commercially, than selling a few t-shirts.

Further, is it not exactly the sort of bedroom wall poster material that will widen exposure to the Brabham name and, consequently, heritage?

Zenos
Lotus T125
Appollo
Even Alpine is not making a profit

Unless its a giant slayer and appears ontv and video games I cannot imagine it getting enough exposure to reawaken brand awareness. Sadly.

Lets guess the project cost them so far, conservatively, a few million. Now imagine spending that on HAAS-Brabham Racing or similar. Same loss, but world wide brand awareness again.

So, for the sake of discussion, Brabham spends $10 million on title sponsorship (cost based on the Aston Martin deal with Red Bull in 2017). For what purpose, exactly?

According to your point, that would be far better than developing, building and selling the BT62.

I can see no commercial sense in that whatsoever. You only brand if you have a product to sell on the back of it… which they wouldn’t, in that situation.

Unless you really think a million plus people, are suddenly going to decide they can’t live without a Brabham t-shirt, as you first suggested?

The flaw there is that you also, then, have the cost of producing the shirts in the first place, so you have to sell even more just to break even.

There have been multiple approaches to Brabham to return to F1; none materialised for various reasons. Read what David Brabham said about those - basically none had the budget and the likelihood of a negative impact on the Brabham name was too great.

Remember, the last Brabham F1 team was less than successful and that had a lasting legacy for some years.

Closer to home, look at the final incarnation of Lotus as an F1 team. Not exactly the pinnacle of glory on the name, was it?

These cars are dreamt up as a product of passion an ambition rather than business nous or boardroom strategy.

Long may that continue!

Clio V6
Renault R26R
Megane 4 RS Trophy.

All lose money, but are immense all the same.

If my Clio V6 hadn’t had such a fundamental flaw, probably I wouldn’t have an Exige now :sunglasses:

The flaw being, the need to kill you when you head around a corner a little bit quickly?

Sort of…except it wasn’t even a corner :open_mouth: