Bodywork

I recently passed up the opportunity to purchase an exige from a dealer - 30k on the clock for �21,000. Someone nipped in in front of me while i was dithering. I noticed that it had a solid “slatted” cover where the usual clear cover is over the engine. Can this slatted version be added as an option ? and how much will it cost? I havent seen any others like it around.

Undecided

Was it a silver car? in the midlands??

The engine cover isn’t an option as such… you would have to have it made specially I think. It’s copied from the Motorsport Elises, this is what they have fitted as standard… and they don’t have interior mirrors

yes, the car was silver but was in hertfordshire. think i like the look more than the clear window! any idea how much having one done would cost??

Undecided

As far as I know, there are non left at Lotus. Even so, you would be looking at around �500 plus vat, plus painting, plus fitting

Mind you, IIRC the “clear” perspex one costs around �1200 - can AndyD confirm this, as he priced one up recently?

Yep Rob - 1200 quid or thereabouts - Still waiting for Lotus to confirm they will pay some ( like at least half ) of this … However if anyone wants to sell a perfect one !

I had the motorsport cover fitted to my car a couple of months ago by Nick Whale’s. It cost something like �1000 all in. I’d imagine if Lotus are out of stock, they will make another batch sooner or later. There’s bound to be some demand for them.
I’m really pleased with mine: It looks the dogs wotsits. It seriously drops the engine bay temp (and therefore the cabin temp). And it reduces the amount of fumes sucked into the cabin when the windows are open.
Did I mention it looks good?

Downsides are:
The almost non-existent rear vision. (I was followed by an ambulance with his blue lights flashing, and I didn’t see him )
The two lower vents in the engine cover allow water to run straight into the boot. I’m planning to make a couple of “scoops” to direct the water into the engine bay. I guess I’ll have to dig out my fibreglassing kit again to make these.

I’d imagine if Lotus are out of stock, they will make another batch sooner or later. There’s bound to be some demand for them.

I fear not Brendan

They were made by ANOTHER (don’t know who) for Lotus, & I know that the factory has no plans to order anymore - at present anyway, & I can’t see that changing! Answer maybe to ask the factory to release the mame of the actual maker, but will they???

Looks like you’re one of the lucky buggers who’ve managed to source one.

u can have them trough eliseparts…

Nice one Nicholas

I’ve just spoken with Geary at Eliseparts, & he sells them for �320 plus vat (gel coat finished & slats cut out). So with painting & fitting, I suppose you’d be into the �1000 bracket as mentioned by Brendan.

I bouught one in c/f last year from gaery. It is not a c/f only, but in g/f and finished with c/f. I can say that there is no noticeable weight difference between the 2 but the one finished in c/f is stronger.

About costs…
I payed 490 for mine, made all the fittings work alone and got it painted properly from a local professional.
The result is very nice.
But i can tell u that u have to spend many hours, especially to finish it properly because all the openings r only cutted but u have to give then a nice shape.

Id someone wants to have some pics to see how i did it, send me an e-mail.

Anyway…forget to fix the one from gaery like the original one. To do that u have to take the “chassis” from the original one.

Ciao
Nicolas

Nicholas

Please email me a picture - many thanks.

Brendan

Tell me more about the ambulance…

If there is one out there that can keep up with an Exige

I want one

Nicholas

Please email me a picture - many thanks.

Any chance of getting pics posted up so we can all have a look? I’d be interested to see.

Roxy

Nicholas has sent me the pics - I’ll forward them to you. Nicholas’s car looks great

thanks Mr Pesky!

Brendan

Tell me more about the ambulance…

If there is one out there that can keep up with an Exige

I want one

Nice one Mike

Heavy traffic on the motorway. Anything with blue flashing lights has an unfair advantage in those conditions…Hmmmm… that gives me an idea

Thanks Pesky

Nicholas
Your car looks fantastic