Bl**dy Tyre balancing!

Ive had problems getting my front wheels balanced and albert walsh (norlogger will know who i mean) has informed me i need a twin-plane balancing machine. Im presuming Ribble Valleys new machine is such, however as it would seem this can only be done by royal appointment on a saturday! So does any body know anyone with such a machine on or around blackpool/preston cos im getting very pi**ed off!
Thanks
Gav

Probably a bit too far from you, but Tyres Northants are the daddies when it comes to tyre balancing. The gizmo there cost them an absolute fortune, but it’s very accurate and simulates road loads at speed to detect not only imbalance, but also overall thrust in a given direction, if you had 4-tyres matching (I know Exiges don’t) it even tells you which tyre to put on which corner. They also have rubber matting on the floor to protect your rims. Their 4-wheel alignment machine is pretty awesome too. People travel long distances to have them work on their car.

End of advert.

Gav

Give Roger a ring on 01772 2314477 (He’s in Clayton Brook, just off M6 Leyland/Chorley). He’s a mate of Russ, & has done work on both of our cars. He’s also a nutter - races a 750cc Suzuki at circuits all over UK

Cheers Pesky, is there anything you dont know! (apart fom how to take the roof off an s2)

Bu**er too many digits in that no mate!

Gav, if Russ’s mate can’t sort you out ring Colin or Steve on 01254 884128 think you will find that’s where LRV take them.

Cheers, Pesky’s mate only has a cheap machine by his own submission! The only thing is steve previously ive had my wheels scratched by the people who RVL used to use! But will bare it in mind thanks
Gav

Oops just read your comment re LRV’s new machine, so Colin/Steve may not be the answer but no harm in trying them.

No problem Gav, they sorted a couple of mine a few weeks ago without any damage but can understand your reluctance.

Sorry Gav - too many "2"s

It may be an “inexpensive” machine, but it does what it’s supposed to

Sorry Gav - too many "2"s

It may be an “inexpensive” machine, but it does what it’s supposed to

In my experience a ‘machine’ is only as good as the operator who works it, no matter how much it costs. As Pesky says, just so long as it does what it’s suppose to and the guy whos working it knows what he is doing…I’m afriad to say that there are many out there who dont have a clue and will just slap weights on willy nilly all over the place!!

The secret is to you find yourself a good tyre balancer who knows the score and look after him well, it will pay off nicely in the long run!!!

Sorry to ask, but have you made sure the tyres are on the rims in the correct orientation to the valves?? Not so much a problem on a big heavy car but really needs to be done on the lotus and can be very easily overlooked .

p.s the nicest balancing machine I have slapped my eyes on is at Manthey Tuning just next-door to the Ring. The machine they have can be adjusted to take into account any negative camber you are running on the car…Sweet.

Also, too many “Gavs” now

Only kidding, boyz

TT, the tyres arnt new so nothing should have changed there, and ive tried using local people ive used before, also the tyre are showing ‘balanced’ on the machine. I have had this before with a rear tyre that was ok on the machine but wasnt when driving, it was stripped of weights and rebalanced fine. Its just that im getting old ( but no as old as pesky ) and fed up of having to bugger about! Or plan two weeks in advance to get to RVL.
The one at the ring sounds good but i fear there isnt enough tread left on my tyres to get that far!
Gav

I know exactly where you are coming from as I have had the same problems having to go from one tyre garage to the another only to find on the next mans machine it reads out when they have only just been balanced on another machine 20 mins beforehand. As I said, 9 times out of 10 its not the machine at fault but the operator.

Do you have an ‘offical’ Pirelli dealer near to you anywhere??? You should find that at least one of their staff will have been on the ‘Pirelli’ tyre balancing course. The dealer next to me (well 20 miles away actually) has 15 staff working there but only one gets the job of balancing my wheels… Mark his name is, and he gets a drink off me everytime… Top man!!

Gav

Are you sure that the wheel(s) aren’t buckled?

Only ask, as I know (cos Sooty told me) that you regularly drive very close to the kerb, albeit rather slowly

Seriously though, the wheels could be buckled!

Exige wheels are terrible for balancing as they are already buckled as standard …

You need a place that has decent equipment but also a guy who understands or rather has the patiance to take weights off as well as on during the process which can take quite some time as dynamic balance often creates a shifting of the problem so you end up chasing your self - or give up.

Sometimes a tyre/wheel combo can be so out of balance that it’s better to deflate the tyre, move it 180degs around the rim, reinflate and rebalance it.

Cheers Pesky, only slow enough to throw sweets out the window! no ive checked them whilst going round on the machine and looked straight, and before now ive had worse wheels balanced! Never thought of moving the tyre round! Ive now got details of a guy who sells a lot of top end alloys locally, been doing for 14years that i know of. So am going to speak to him tommorow.
Thanks for the good response keep it up!
Gav

Exige wheels are terrible for balancing as they are already buckled as standard …

I Agree. When I first got my car I had the (front) wheels balanced four times before I was happy and even then only just satisfied. Eventually the Pirelli boys who support the Porche Cup cars did eveything including turning on the rim etc etc etc to get something workable.

Sometimes a tyre/wheel combo can be so out of balance that it’s better to deflate the tyre, move it 180degs around the rim, reinflate and rebalance it.

Read it somewhere, but cant find it now, but there is significance in the red and yellow spots sometimes found on the tyre wall in terms of where they should be aligned to on the wheel.