Best road tyres for an S2?

It’s good to see there are some more choices, that’s a good site, most other places I’ve seen or phoned had little or no choice. I obviosuly didn’t check it properly earlier.

That said, for me the choice is still fairly limited as I want to lose as little performance as possible in winter. I’ve had the toyos on a corrado and I wouldn’t put them on the exige, too hard and too little grip, especially compared to the michelins - their test are waay off so I’m not sure whether to trust the stats on the other tyres either. The Eagle F1’s look good for winter, the one thing the toyo’s do well is cut through standing water and I’m hoping the goodyears will be softer too.

I think with tyres it’s best not to take too much advice (so ignore above : ) and experiment because there’s so much false information out there and everyone has different views on what’s good.

This site allows you to compare stats of the tyres and the 1000x1000 superview is cool do I trust it though? probably about 60%

http://www.tirerack.com/tires/tires.jsp?tireMake=Goodyear&tireModel=Eagle+F1+GS-D3

I’ve had T1-Rs on mine all winter and personally I’m very happy with them. I have to drive the newly-widened bit of the M25 near Heathrow daily and its a real b*gger for standing water. Never yet had a moment when they felt anywhere near losing grip and you can tell by the plume of water behind you how much they shift. In selecting winter tyres that was my real concern and they certainly do the job for me.

Edited to add I also find them ok for daily use but round my way there’s almost never a chance to drive enthusiastically so I’ve never got near their limits in the dry.

Edited to add I also find them ok for daily use but round my way there’s almost never a chance to drive enthusiastically so I’ve never got near their limits in the dry.

hehe, I get the AO48’s to the limit in the dry That’s why it’s best to find out with tyres for yourself I think.

Anyone read this below thread:-

http://forums.seloc.org/viewthread.php?tid=123309&page=1

Is it true the toe links are not suitable for sticky tyres and what option do we have for upgrading?

I don’t get it. I have an S2 which comes with A048’s as standard. Is this suggesting that at my first track day in July one of the wheels is likely to fall off???

I don’t get it. I have an S2 which comes with A048’s as standard. Is this suggesting that at my first track day in July one of the wheels is likely to fall off???

Well the good news is that your front two wheels are fairly safe

and with regard to your rear ones, the favourite has to be the near side (given most circuits are clock-wise.

Being less flippant, if you don’t go 10ths and stay off the kerbs then you should be OK. However, upgrading them is a good idea.

hmmm food for thought! I know my car has uprated suspension mounts and has been on track before I owned it. I will check if the toe links have been changed too.

I can’t afford to do them before the track day, my rear tyres are fairly shot (see 4 posts up) so hopefully that’ll help reduce the stress on the toe links.