Best road tyres for an S2?

I’m needing to get some tyres, and as I’m not planning to track the car and cant really justify having another set of 48’s, anyone recommend decent road tyres?

TIA

I think that the 48’s make a big difference on the road not just track. I think anything else is a big compromise (except for toyo R888’s) which is only slightly cheaper.

If its your only car then I agree on putting something more practical on for the winter months.

Fit A039 tyres they are great

Fit A039 tyres they are great

And bloody expensive though, David

I think that the 48’s make a big difference on the road not just track. I think anything else is a big compromise (except for toyo R888’s) which is only slightly cheaper.

I dont mind the compromise. I have another car I use for track days. I Liked the advans on my S1, and was thinking of the AD07 if they were availble in exige sizes.

Just seeing if others are using other tyres than the 48’s for road use

I dont mind the compromise. I have another car I use for track days. I Liked the advans on my S1, and was thinking of the AD07 if they were availble in exige sizes.

Just seeing if others are using other tyres than the 48’s for road use

Jonathan

Saw a guy at Brands using some Goodyears but couldn’t catch him to ask how they were.

Robb

I (and many others i believe) used toyo T1-r for winter tyres on my s2 elise 135, but to be honest they were detrimental to the handling and feedback although much better in the wet weather under braking(side walls a bit soft I reckon and std pressure a bit low). I won’t be using them as a winter tyre on the exige however as I think the issues would be magnified somewhat and I don’t want to spoil a nice set up, AD07 are an expensive winter choice - therefore since the NE isn’t the wettest part of the country I run the 48’s all year at the mo. Bit of waste but there you go!

I (and many others i believe) used toyo T1-r for winter tyres on my s2 elise 135, but to be honest they were detrimental to the handling and feedback although much better in the wet weather under braking(side walls a bit soft I reckon and std pressure a bit low). I won’t be using them as a winter tyre on the exige however as I think the issues would be magnified somewhat and I don’t want to spoil a nice set up, AD07 are an expensive winter choice - therefore since the NE isn’t the wettest part of the country I run the 48’s all year at the mo. Bit of waste but there you go!

Thanks for that.

I’ve had T1-R’s on other cars, and never really had an issue with them. Might be worth ago. A stab in the dark but I guess they are just the same sizes as the 48s?

I’ve been running Conti Sport contacts in the same sizes as stock but the steering is very light, it doesn’t have great grip in the dry and in the wet I cant stop the car quickly. Even with a bit more wet grip it doesn’t feel like you get enough weight transfer onto the front axle to make any difference.

What are the ‘winter tyres’ Lotus recommends?

Pirelli 210 Snowsports on front, 240 Snowsports on rear.

I use Michelin Pilot Exalto PE2’s. They come in the right sizes, are quiet, ride nicely, and will probably last a long time. Not sure how they are on the track, but for the street they are really great!

I’ve been running Conti Sport contacts in the same sizes as stock but the steering is very light, it doesn’t have great grip in the dry and in the wet I cant stop the car quickly. Even with a bit more wet grip it doesn’t feel like you get enough weight transfer onto the front axle to make any difference.

Okay. so not good in the dry and not good in the wet. Hmmmm. Might give these a miss

I found once a set of T1-R’s are scrubbed up, they’re not too bad for road use.

Do we have winters anymore in this country?

Okay. so not good in the dry and not good in the wet. Hmmmm. Might give these a miss

I found once a set of T1-R’s are scrubbed up, they’re not too bad for road use.

I’ve done this whole tyre swap thing on my caterham in the past and changing from Yokos to Avon CR500s (v soft but decent tread - like AD07s I suppose) will always make the steering feel and grip change noticeably (piece of advice - dont change at lunchtime of a track day and then nearly fall off the track at the first bend). I doubt you’ll notice a hell of a lot difference between road tyres by comparison with A048s.

You do notice the difference from normal road to winter tyres too. They slice through mud/slime and water much better than road tyres so I’d say run AO48s in summer and Conti Wintercontact TS810s in winter (may wifes golf is till on them…oops)

Sorry to bring up a old post, which is the hardest compound r888 or a048?

you can get both those tyres in differant compounds so your question is not that simple to answer.

I’m just looking for a more durable tyre as I’m probably not going to be tracking the car for several months.

Lotus 48’s are 60 hardness
888’r are 100

Gav

Saw a guy at Brands using some Goodyears but couldn’t catch him to ask how they were.
Robb

A previous car came with Michelin Pilot Sports as standard, lasted for ages but were really treachourous in the wet, very tippy toey and gave way all at once. I eventually changed them for Goodyear Eagle F1’s and they completely transformed the car in the wet, honestly the difference was staggering. If I could afford a spare set of wheels to put some road tyres on then these are the one’s I would opt to try. Not sure how they would perform on a Lotus though, my previous car was a Z3, but would be giving them a shot for sure.
John