Bedford - Grand Turismo

Did Bedford Autodrome’s ‘Grand Turismo’ circuit yesterday with AndyD and Benja (not sure which one that is in the background).

[image]http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v494/IDG/Exiges/Bedford.jpg[/image]

They make the 4.1 mile circuit up by linking the edges of many of their smaller circuits. It leads to a large variety of bends:

• a 90mph chicane, having broken from 130mph
  • Technical twisties
  • Fast flowing Esses
  • Hairpins

The circuit is very safe, being an old airfield there is very little to hit. Although it is tarmaced properly.

The briefing is possibly the longest I’ve heard, but was thorough (, amusing) and followed by half an hour of familiarisation laps (at under 60mph).

There was one accident where a VX220 followed a Noble off and ‘did’ the rear clam. There was no need, but there were rescue vehicles (which are at various places around the circuit during the day) within moments and an ambulance just behind.

There was even use of Jonathan Palmer’s facilities including free drinks, biscuits and sweets! All for �150. AND the weather was great, very pleased. Only complaint would it being a bit flat.

Ian

ps. Before anybody says anything about the pics, it was during familiarisation.
pps. If you’re there in future, the drive-by noise meters may well be at the start of the long straights (they were very good with noise, even if you failed the static test they let you out and asked you to be careful’)

Forgot to say.

One poor chap had/noticed a HGF driving between the car park and the paddock area.

They wished him well, helped him to the exit (for AA collection) and refunded his money. I think that’s pretty good service!

Sincaire were there for other mechanicals.

Ian

And some more…

• Stiffened up the Nitrons - Woo! (although should have softened them for the journey home )
  • Was pulling 1.3g at peak (1.25g regularly)!

Hello, it twas a good day nice to meet you folks even if I don’t have a proper Exige

no safety bunnet IDG ??

sounds good, and very customer oriented ?

And some more…

• Stiffened up the Nitrons - Woo! (although should have softened them for the journey home )
  • Was pulling 1.3g at peak (1.25g regularly)!

What did you stiffen them up to? curious now that i have nylatrons and no stiction i can run softer, amazing what full wishbone travel does for curing oversteer

Doing an event not unlike the Tuner GP going on over on your side of the world, 2 day event with full track laps, gymkana, 1/4 mile on 1 on 1 rally stage. Not had much chance to use the car properly with engine changes so any help appreciated. Was hoping that the ex GK racing exige would be there but unfortunately the owner only got it sorted last weekend and i cant say i blame him for not wanting to travel 1000 miles to enter the event when he is not quite used to the car. Just really wanted to sit in the passenger seat, i supplied it to him on the premise that i could make use of it anytime, thought it was a fair deal .

Hello, it twas a good day nice to meet you folks even if I don’t have a proper Exige

Your car looked great in the dark purple ‘Aubergine’ colour. Yours is a proper Exige, you kept the roof on, unlike that other weirdo who was out on track in it with no roof all day.

Ian

Jason, I started the day with ‘track learner mode’ suspension. Soft is more forgiving, so I stayed with the road settings I use of 3 from soft at the front and 5 from soft at the rear.

After lunch Mr Dovey was kind enough to use his almost telepathic skills of knowing where the knob on the Nitrons (behind the wheels) is to twiddle and within a couple of minutes I was set to 10 from hard at the front and 8 front hard at the rear. Made the car feel much more planted.

I’m no expert but will probably play with them a bit. My feeling is that much harder would probably start to detract rather than add anything.

Ian

Thanks Ian,

Have gone to 12F/10R with the A048’s as a start, feels good so far, not really pushed it to hard on track, but nothing like a bit of pressure to find the limits.

Did Bedford Autodrome’s ‘Grand Turismo’ circuit yesterday with AndyD and Benja (not sure which one that is in the background).

They make the 4.1 mile circuit up by linking the edges of many of their smaller circuits. It leads to a large variety of bends:

• a 90mph chicane, having broken from 130mph
  • Technical twisties
  • Fast flowing Esses
  • Hairpins

The circuit is very safe, being an old airfield there is very little to hit. Although it is tarmaced properly.

The briefing is possibly the longest I’ve heard, but was thorough (, amusing) and followed by half an hour of familiarisation laps (at under 60mph).

There was one accident where a VX220 followed a Noble off and ‘did’ the rear clam. There was no need, but there were rescue vehicles (which are at various places around the circuit during the day) within moments and an ambulance just behind.

There was even use of Jonathan Palmer’s facilities including free drinks, biscuits and sweets! All for �150. AND the weather was great, very pleased. Only complaint would it being a bit flat.

Ian

ps. Before anybody says anything about the pics, it was during familiarisation.
pps. If you’re there in future, the drive-by noise meters may well be at the start of the long straights (they were very good with noise, even if you failed the static test they let you out and asked you to be careful’)

Hi Ian,

Glad you enjoyed it, wish I’d been able to bring the Exige.

Also nice to meet some more Exiges members.

I think Andy was enjoying his car more in the afternoon.

I think Andy was enjoying his car more in the afternoon.

Andy was not the only one enjoying his car in the afternoon,…cheers Andy

Nice to meet you too Mark, hopefully we will see you (and your Exige) at Silverstone!

I really had a great day too. It certainly reinforced my plans to make a few minor mods Good to meet Herbie too and admire that fairground stylie sparkly paintwork.

Roll on the next one…

Yes, I had made a few changes, harder springs, different toe settings and harder anti-roll bar … and was completely lost in the morning … turning in far too early and almost wiping out all the apex cones and then running off wide …

Mark saw me contemplating what the problem was and suggest a few things, which worked - I was so much more at home in the afternoon the car just felt great

So cheers Mark

Cheers Mark.

And sorry for not making it clear sooner that this was a Lotus-on-Track day and was thoroughly well run. A great blend of quality venue, safety (perhaps the safest day I’ve done), value and a friendly atmosphere.

Ian