Battery connectors corroded!

Ive been having a few problems with my battery not holding its charge, it turns out that the positive battery connector is well and truly corroded and being an ‘anorak’ I wanted to replace it with an identical connector…no bloody chance! As you know the S1 has a simple battery connector, so simple I cant get one anywhere!

Actually thats not true, Lotus will sell me one but only if I buy the wiring loom as well, no suprise there then!

Been to 8 Motor Factors and still no luck!

Anyone got a spare one?

By corroded I assume you mean more than just sulphated up. If they were sulphated then you could just wire brush it clean again.
So if its corroded to the extent that metal is missing then before replacing it I would be concerned about what caused such an abnormal occurance.

Sorry no help on replacing it.

I agree with Steve,but also there may have been some impurity in the connector although unlikely.I would expect its a pretty standard part and most auto factors wouldnt really be bothered trying to source one for you.Try taking what`s left of your original and trawl a few breakers to find a match,dont forget your wire cutters.

By corroded I assume you mean more than just sulphated up. If they were sulphated then you could just wire brush it clean again.
So if its corroded to the extent that metal is missing then before replacing it I would be concerned about what caused such an abnormal occurance.

Sorry no help on replacing it.

Yes, its corroded to such an extent that there actual metal missing!

I agree with Steve,but also there may have been some impurity in the connector although unlikely.I would expect its a pretty standard part and most auto factors wouldnt really be bothered trying to source one for you.Try taking what`s left of your original and trawl a few breakers to find a match,dont forget your wire cutters.

I thought about contacting that geezer who had his Exige written off by the valeter, bet hes got a spare one…among other things!!!

Hopefully, something from here will do the job:-

http://www.vehicle-wiring-products.co.uk/VWPweb2000/BATTCON/BATTCON.html

HTH

written off by the valetor? jeez,he must have been scrubbing hard!

Hopefully, something from here will do the job:-

http://www.vehicle-wiring-products.co.uk/VWPweb2000/BATTCON/BATTCON.html

HTH

Yeah thanks for that, ive already been onto them but they dont have anything that resembles the corroded one…in fact I cant believe the Exige actually leaves the factory with such crap connectors…have a look at all of your Exige connectors and you’ll see what I mean…no expense spent on them then!

do you have a race battery,or standard?

Just bought a new Bosch Silver…standard size though… yet it was still a b@stard to remove…thought id better check the manual first…what a waste of time that was, it didnt say you had to remove the radiator shroud etc.

I’ll probably end up modifying the loom and fitting some high quality connectors!

shroud shouldn`t be a problem but the fixings are crap,replace them at the same time

shroud shouldn`t be a problem but the fixings are crap,replace them at the same time

Where do I get replacement fixings from?

salvage yard,or if you want to be posh,try demon tweeks.At the end of the day its only a connection.stick a jubilee clip around,brade the wire around the terminal then tighten gently.That will work till you you find what you want

I’ll probably end up modifying the loom and fitting some high quality connectors!

Probably your best move tbh…

It sounds like the missing metal may actually have been caused by arcing. It’s unusual for galvanic corrosion (dissimilar metals) to take hold to that effect. Although not greasing the terminals will accelerate the process.

Anyway - have fun. Watch the old belt buckle on the front wing! Best lay an old towel over the wing first!

Probably your best move tbh…

It sounds like the missing metal may actually have been caused by arcing. It’s unusual for galvanic corrosion (dissimilar metals) to take hold to that effect. Although not greasing the terminals will accelerate the process.

Anyway - have fun. Watch the old belt buckle on the front wing! Best lay an old towel over the wing first!

Yes the terminals were dry as a bone, no grease at all…as for the ‘belt buckle’, ive actually got a mechanics wing protector that I use to prevent scratches!

bertone

it never had battery acid spilled on it did it ?

bertone

it never had battery acid spilled on it did it ?

Yes I know, im horrified…!