BAT Caterham open day 26/11

What a great day I’ve had at Donington visiting Bookatrack’s Caterham open day. I had a test drive of their 360R demonstrator on the great roads around Donington. It’s the first time I’ve ever driven one and compared to the 2-11 the first thing that struck me was how small they are inside. I’m 6’'1" and at the limit of leg room really. With some pedal adjustment and maybe a seat tailored to my arse I’d be more comfortable in it.

Anyhow I can see why people rave about them. Proper physical things to drive which bombard the driver with information. I really enjoyed it.

BAT laid on a great hog roast for lunch and all the tea & biscuits you could eat. The whole paddock rocked up to join in.

To finish off was the main event…Around 10 passenger laps in BAT’s 620R driven by David Bailey. It’s a lunatic of a machine and David can really drive. The Sadev gearbox makes perfect sense on track, so exciting. David ended up locked in a race with a 911 GT3 RS wearing slicks. I was sat there in awe at both cars and David’s driving. The 911 was marginally faster over the lap but credit to the Caterham all but keeping up on Avon ZZR’s for a fraction of the cost…it summed up Caterham for me right there. It was one of my motoring highlights that’ll live long in my memory.

The day has left me wanting a Caterham with a Sadev gearbox :slight_smile:

The only thing missing was the Ferrets…

Fantastic Adam, I really wish I could have made it, it sounds like a great day :thumbup:

Yup they are tiny inside. I’m about a little shorter than you but have long legs. I have a bag seat that means its not a problem. It also means that I can sit really low in the car,…my arse is literally on the floor. Some of the lads on the EE trip were chuckling as I literally disappear into the car with just my lid poking out, I like it like that. One of the other Ferrets has his seat like a tennis umpires chair :laughing:

Yeah the 620R is a bit of an animal and the Sadev makes the car, what a fantastic gearbox! I can’t imagine ever getting bored of flat-shifting and then banging down through the gears on the brakes :sunglasses:

Did you take your chequebook with you :smiley:

I think a bag seat of some sort and a 2 to 3" steering wheel boss extension would suit me. I must have short arms because I’ve had to move the 2-11 wheel closer.

One of the BAT lads said all their R300’s had been sold / reserved for sale because they’re moving to a new fleet of track hire cars based on the Caterham’s available now so a mixture of 360/420/620 I guess. I’m not really in a position to buy one anyway at the moment…maybe in 2018. I’ll just have to put up with the 211 until then :slight_smile:

How is the Sadev for service life?

:mrgreen: