Autocar 30 May 2001

This weeks Autocar contains their first long term test report. It is very positive. The guy who has care of the car clearly has fallen under its spell. Interestingly he says ‘…Lotus is about to launch an interesting line in upgrades for the Exige…’

The guy who wrote the article (Chris Harris, I think) is also racing a lime green Autocar-backed Exige on the Lotus Sport Championship.It will be interesting to see what goodies they are going to fit. If I remember rightly, David approached Autocar some time back about covering his TurboTechnic conversion, but they said they had plans of their own for their long-term Exige.

quote:Originally posted by AGYNJO:David approached Autocar some time back about covering his TurboTechnic conversion, but they said they had plans of their own for their long-term Exige.Flippin’ heck… you’ve got a better memory than I have !

It’s a very selective memory. Ask me who won the British GP in 1990 and I’ll be right there. Ask me where I left my car keys and I’ll be stuffed !

I E-mailed Chris Harris after reading that article to ask him a few questions. The new upgrades he was talking about are:1: Uprated brakes.2: Close ratio gearbox.3: Maybe more power?He didn’t give any more inforamtion than that, but obviously the close ratio box is already available. I don’t know if the brakes are just the motorsport pads, or something even more extreme.I hope the extra power thing comes off.He also mentioned the Pi datalogger, which he has fitted. Check the picture of the interior, and you will see a cable running under the steering column. He says he’ll write about it soon in the mag.He also said he’d be putting together a full set of performance figures this week. That’ll be nice. He says the car feels like ‘an absolute rocketship’, so they should be good figures.

The brakes might be the motorsport brakes, which are bigger than the road cars and the extra power the 200 BHP programmable ECU, again from motorsport…

Yeah, I wouldn’t mind getting my hands on a set of Motorsport (Brembo?) brakes.Price anyone ?

I can get you a price if you’re serious, but they won’t be cheap…

quote:Originally posted by Tony Whitter:I can get you a price if you’re serious, but they won’t be cheap…Well, the TT upgrade’s costing me the thin end of �12,000… it’d be a shame to lose it by having inadequate stoppers !

Leave it with me, I’ll find out exactly what’s involved and how much it will cost. Incidentally, big news coming very soon about my little venture, watch this space…

The Exige in Autocar had a few figures in the mag this week in the 0-100-0 test.0-30 1.9, 0-60 5.3 and 0-100 in 14.04100-0 in 4.14 (one of the best times) total 0-100-0 in 18.88secs including reaction times.TVR Tuscan did 14.04 911 Turbo 14.30westfield megabusa 13.69Daft tiger twin bike engine thingy 12.78Suzuki GSX-R1000 12.3Record is by a Mac F1 in 11.50Maybe you can get your exige in next years challenge Dave if its done by then [image]http://www.exiges.com/ubb/NonCGI/images/icons/wink.gif[/image]Rich

Interesting… does anyone know if their car is a std. 177 or an 190 ?Figures for those are supposed to be 4.7 and 4.5 secs respectively… yet they could only manage 5.3What have you guys managed ?

Pretty sure it’s a 190