Audi Rules !! OK ??

Just finished watching the F1 qualifying, after getting home from the Mid Engined Sports Car Series race at Snetterton…

I am extremely chuffed to say that Matt Cummings beat Alistair Mackinnon into second place in the big race…

This time it was not just a class win, but the actual numero uno / chequered flag !!

Twas a very hard fought battle with a lot of pressure on Matt from the hard charging Macker, including a few paint swapping moments…

At the end of the day, the superior speed and reliability of the audi conversion won the day !!

Next stop Thruxton - come along and enjoy !!!

Mike

send my congrats … again

A pleasure

Ooooo, what date is Thruxton?

Top job! I’m looking forward to seeing yours in July.

Ian

Top job! I’m looking forward to seeing yours in July.

Ian

AND “trying it out” Ian

Looked a good scrap from where I was sitting (3rd), but I have to say I am not one to jump on the Audi bandwagon for a while yet!

Alister got past in a car with 100 less horsepower, and was going away when he lost 3rd gear. If there is any circuit where the Audi will be an advantage, then it will be Snetterton.

Matt was having to brake noticeably earlier than both Alister and myself, and the car does not appear to handle as well as the cars with lighter engines / gearboxes.

And the reliability thing? Not convinced on Matt’s car just yet - why did it stop about 3 laps into the last race (having qualified at the back)? And the misfire in qualifying? Of course, it is early days with the conversion…

I don’t really want to put a dampener on things, but all I am seeing elsewhere on here is that the Audi has to be the next best thing, and I don’t want anybody considering the conversion to get an unbalanced view.

Anyway - well done to Matt - it looked very exciting!

Cheers

Just wanted to clear up a few points.

Matts car is still in development and is running with about 300 BHP so Alisters advantage would be about 75 BHP if he’s got a decent engine which I’m sure he has.

In qualifying the car had an ignition coil failure, this is common fault with early Volkswagen/Audi/Seat coils. They had to recall 970,000 of them !! The faulty coil was changed for the race. Remember, the engine only cost �1200 in the first place !!

The car broke a driveshaft in the last race, this is by no means an uncommon problem, even with K engined cars. New, bigger driveshafts will be fitted soon.

I agree that the extra weight will affect the braking but it doesn’t seem to affect the handling as much as you would think. This is the view of everybody who has driven it anyway.

Another thing to remember is that Matt is still a novice, only in his second season. Some of the other guys out there have been racing for many years.

Bernard

Did someone mention Thruxton and Audi engined Exiges??

Thruxton is Sunday 4th July…

Hmmm,…should be able to make this one, anyone else going to be travelling from London/Surrey?

Matt was having to brake noticeably earlier than both Alister and myself, and the car does not appear to handle as well as the cars with lighter engines / gearboxes.

Matt’s car weighed 724 kgs before he replaced the screen with a perspex one, so the braking should be as good as anyones… As Bernard said - he is still a novice, and the tyres had been badly flatspotted by Ryan

(having qualified at the back)?

We only had a few minutes to cure the misfire, and that included resetting the throttle pot sensor on the Emerald, and then finding new coil packs…

Qualifying had started, and in the dry, and after five minutes we were still working… as Matt drove out of the garage it started raining, and by the time he had come round to start his first flying lap it was pssng down - bummer !! His qualifying time was one minute 58 or something similar, but in the race he did a one minute 18…

When I drove the car at Snetterton earlier this year, the handling was not bad, but then we had a leaking rear damper at Mallory, now repaired, and whilst trying to compensate for that we dramatically changed the rear ride height, and it hasn’t been properly reset yet, so the downforce and handling is still some way off, as quite correctly diagnosed by Mark !!!

Matt was lapping in 1 20. something, whilst defending the line and taking extra care not to go off on the oil leading up to the chicane, but eventually he missed a gear and Al got by…

That was when Matt got going, and immediately cut 2 seconds a lap off by braking later and pushing harder…

It’s going to be a great season, especially if I can get my car ready to rock as well !!!

I get back from Italy the day before Thruxton, so I hope I can be there

ahhh now we get the full story… too shay…

good to see Bernard chip in as well…

good healthy debate… cheers guys…

Not against the Audi - and I realise its early days for both the conversion and Matt - hence the ‘yet’ in my statements

Thanks Mark

I much appreciate the constructive nature of your comments, and it’s nice to be able to discuss things rationally, which is why I first started on the BBS!!