AP front discs

Just had a quote for nearly £1200 + vat to replace my front AP discs & pads on my car while its at Strattons , seems a bit pricey , anyone know if it is ?

Not dificult to do yourself as that sounds. Somewhat high.
Check out the parts fron Eliseparts to get an idea of the costs.

Dave at seriously lotus stocks them. Much cheaper than Lotus prices. Any garage can fit them if you not able to do it yourself.

These are the discs at just under 500 + vat

New bolts are advisable at an additional £25.00 + vat
Pad price depend on which manufacturer you wish too use
but range from £125+ vat for the ferodo 4 pot pad to £175.00 + vat for PF’s, I also have RS42, RS14, CL5 CL6 etc
So a max of £700 + vat for parts.
That leaves about £500 plus vat for fitting front discs and pads (I really need to open a workshop at those prices!!!)

Ok Dave sold , will go for the AP disc rotas a new bolts + RS14 pads , if you will do a deal on 288 Alcons and pads will go for them as well ?

Maybe avoid the RS14 unless you are a real fans, most of us have had pad deposit issues with them and have moved on, for the road RS42 for track Performance Friction :wink:

Strattons just let me know that the front & rear discs have arrived with the pads , once again great service Dave , thanks !

I use to quite like RS14s but then (if I recall) they changed the formula and they weren’t good and the RS15s were worse, but I thought the RS42s were an endurance pad and a step down. I’ve been using the Perf Friction which are brilliant, last well but also suffered deposits (and recently a horrid binding issue!) but can be hard to get hold of (the importer is…casual) and the most annoying thing (that might make me change) is the mess they cause when wet, it don’t come off, makes things look very tired.

But Dave is a good man for replacements. :slight_smile:

I stuck with the RS14s , I have always liked them, also I was told the blue can squeal a lot , the new Rotas are grooved not drilled this time , not sure how different they will be , I hoping the 288 Alcon rears will make a difference over standard.

Fat new rear disks tend to give a nice pedal feel.

That is a strange statement that doesn’t make any sense… how? why? what do you mean?

I disagree and believe it does.

When the rear pistons don’t need to move as much it makes braking a better experience (on my setup…and others that I have heard of on an S1 Exige).

That would be to do with the rear calipers\boat anchors that are very flexible as they appear to be made of cheese :frowning:

Are the Alcon rotas directional ? I’m not sure if they have fitted them the wrong way round , the little half moons on the disc are pointing backwards.

it is not the grooves on the face of the disc that determines the side/direction of the disc, it is the vanes on the inside…

That disc should be on the Off Side (drivers side of the car). The open side of the C goes in the direction of rotation (means the curved vanes are going in the correct direction/rotation)

Yes it’s the off side , all ok then , thanks Dave .