AP Brakes

Finally got round to fitting my new front brakes this week (and new track rod ends). Bells were supplied by JasonR in nice bling blue colour and rotors are AP5000’s. Really pleased with them - so much better than the standard lotus jobbies and I havnt even fitted new pads yet. Plan on fitting the same setup to the rear if Jason can arrange some more bells for me

Anyway pics attached…

[image]http://i4.photobucket.com/albums/y147/scottmckay666/DSCN0311.jpg[/image] [image]http://i4.photobucket.com/albums/y147/scottmckay666/DSCN0315.jpg[/image]

nice - I’m going to try and get my eliseparts bells re anodised this winter

Looks good, i take it the spacers worked ok ? Get you some more bells with pleasure, just make sure you can get a disc for the rear that doesn’t cost a fortune.

Spacers worked fine but ended up stripping the threads in the upright. The threads were poor as it was (top half of threads were damaged) and as the bolt length was shorter it wouldnt take the correct torque.

Ended up drilling out the threads and heli-coiled them. Threads are now better than ever. Got some slightly longer bolts as well.

Is it not possible to use spacers on the rear too and use the 295mm disks?

Jason are the bells still available for front and rear, missed the last lot.
Interested in getting some for when my current disks wear out.
Cheers
Christian

In theory, with bigger rear discs, the rear pads will run cooler, and will take longer to get up to temp, which may not be a good idea for pads like RS14 that needs a bit of heat to work.

Hubert,

I’d be happy to keep the rear discs the standard size, however, the price for 282mm AP disks are almost double the price for 295mm!!

Absolutely. Why not consider Geary’s discs, EBCs or just the plain OEM discs at the rears?

I’ve not came across anyone having problems using EBC or OEM discs at the REAR, even at the track with pads like RS14.

[image]http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v471/AndrewDovey/57HJ0010.jpg[/image]

Solution for rear using AP discs … no rust ring

The eliseparts rotors are thinner than standard so i dont want to go down that route. The standard lotus jobbies are just plain pants and i’ve heard bad reports about the ebc disks. Basically im looking for an upgrade to the standard setup and IMO neither the eliseparts disks or the ebc are an upgrade.

Additionally, my standard rear disks look plain weedy when compared to the AP fronts I have and as Andy has just pointed out AP rotors = no rust ring!!

Andy are those the CP3047 rotors??

Any day now (if they haven’t already) Eliseparts are releasing a thicker rotor, which is supposed to last much longer than the originals.

One presumes they will fit the existing Eliseparts Ally Bells???

Andy are those the CP3047 rotors??

Nope they have to be 280mm diameter - CP4530 - the bell overlaps the rotor to get rid of the rust ring …

Only pain is having to undo caliper to change rear pads now …

didn’t you have to do that before?

Andy

how much are AP asking for these 280mm rotors?

Im guessing the bells im using at the front wont work with these as they have 12 fixing points as opposed to the 8 you have on your bells.

didn’t you have to do that before?

Nope

Andy

how much are AP asking for these 280mm rotors?

Im guessing the bells im using at the front wont work with these as they have 12 fixing points as opposed to the 8 you have on your bells.

145 quid all in each !

Yeah well actually I did think about using the same bell and a 4530 856/7 disc - but thought the 197 dimension was a bit close … but actaully I think you can get away with it …