Anyone use Yoko A048 that aren't LTS stamped?

Anyone use Yoko A048 that aren’t LTS stamped.

As far as I know it’s just sidewall stiffness that is different, so if you have changed your suspension from Lotus spec, there’s no point keeping to the rare LTS tyres. My thinking is that if they fine tuned the tyres to fit the car and suspension, then if you change the suspension, then the tyres may no longer be optimal, unless they are , or it’s some LTS tyre snobbery.

Non LTS tyres are cheaper and easier to get hold of.

Any views on this?

Andy.

I always thought the sidewall stiffnes was due to weight (lack of) rather than suspension settings?

I think it is a load of nonsense, which helps the Lotus dealership network relieve us of �200 more than necessary.

My dealer reckons the extra stiffness is to cater for the downforce of the rear spoiler? I think they quoted me 90kg?

But given the cars weight and the fact that the non-LTS stamped tyres can be fitted to Subarus etc which all weigh much more than that anyway, it must be BS?

I stick with them as I don’t want to give the insurance Company any get out of jail ammo in the event of a claim - but then I am very cautious when it comes to dealing with Insurance Co’s.

Soggy

The LOT racers use non-LTS 48s, so there’s not a problem at all. I also used a set about 3 years ago, & couldn’t tell any difference (I don’t time laps).

Personally, I’ve changed to the Toyo 888s, & will be staying with in the future (somewhat less expensive than 48s, plus they don’t go out of balance at circa 85mph, which the 48s are prone to doing).

My friend is the local “yokohama” dealer in the area,i asked him on this, and he says the difference in sidewall stiffness compared to a “m” compound A048 is un-noticeable- if any!

I’m with Rob, not going back anytime soon, R888 all the way!

I have used both LTS and the M’s that we have to use in LOT and there is a lot of difference. The grip from the M’s is way more, especially at the front. Plus the sidewalls you can tell the M’s are stiffer simply by looking and pressing the two tyres when they are next to each other.

Unfortunately my fronts are ok, but the rears are buggered, so I’m a bit loathed to change all 4 to Toyos. When they are a bit more even I might change all 4.

Cheers for the input, it just confirmed my suspicions.

I have used both LTS and the M’s that we have to use in LOT and there is a lot of difference. The grip from the M’s is way more, especially at the front. Plus the sidewalls you can tell the M’s are stiffer simply by looking and pressing the two tyres when they are next to each other.

So M compound A048’s is the way to go? or R888’s? is that what you are suggesting?
Stay away from LTS A048’s
Does the M compound still have the vibration issues at 85ish?

Hi mate

Just curious, have you compared the 2 types, back to back on the same test day (ie laptimes), without changing any of the suspension settings?

Had our tyre man ring Yokohama today, and they said they only had LTS in stock and can only sell them to Lotus affiliates, and they haven’t got any M rated ones in stock and wont have for 6 months! That can’t be right can it?

Bunch or asre!

Another vote for the M compound. I’ve been using them for the last year. Haven’t done any back to back testing but I think they offer more grip in the damp on track. Seem easier to keep hot in those conditions. Haven’t tried the 888s yet.

I find my 888’s are more progressive at the limit, and feel like they have a softer sidewall than the 48’s. Easier to keep heat in too. Not going back to 48’s any time soon.

Following Rob (Mr P’s) rec I tried 888s well they are extremely good and I would go as far as to say they might be better than the LTS 048’s…well mine were a bit worn.
I know the Lotus guys have a good arguement for the LTS marking BUT do Lotus get a % from Yoko??
It will be Toyo for me from now.
Join the Lotus Drivers #Club for even better news!

Rob when/where is your next track day??
Cheers

Rob when/where is your next track day??
Cheers

Hi Clive

Funnily enough, I intended to phone you tomorrow about that - Oulton on 13th June with LOT Are you up for that?

Then, it’s off to Classic Le Mans on 8th July

Spoke to Russell at Lotus 2day.

Explained my turning in problems from Silverstone on Tuesday.

As a result I have set my ARB back one hole as the combo of new rear tyres mixed with old (but still got lots of tread depth) fronts potentially creates a grip imbalance & serious understeer

We all go through lots of rears but have the same problem that the fronts don’t need replacing so we just fit new rears.

Russell explained that the A048’s have a period of maximum grip but then will start to go off after multiple heat cycles have been through the tyre.

I have done approx 12 trackdays on the original fronts but as I said they are still easily road legal for a few thousand miles.

So do I bite the bullet & bin a set of perfectly legal fronts and buy new or live with the grip imbalance until the rears catch up with the fronts ?

LTS Sidewalls are much softer than the other compounds. It helps get the tread to work on the lighter car.

The LTS compound is harder though… or at least harder WEARING than the others.

The brilliance of the LTS tyre is that it maintains a pretty good level of hot grip on track, but maintains a pretty good wear characteristic when cool on the road (given the type of tyre).

I’ve replaced fronts before they were totally worn out but were old. Made a massive diffrence (2 seconds quicker at curborough double lapper)

Soggy

• firstly you are more of a pikey than I am

• secondly - I’m on my second set of R888’s and think they are super dooper for the money in wet and dry.

Seriously got to be up there with Sean’s shinanigins to notice any difference I would think.

But I’m a ‘Driving Spaz’ so what would i know

BITE THE BULLET ditch the old 048 fronts and go 888
I did and dont regret it one bit…