Any interest in non Lotus builds?

Evening all.

I have a couple of completed projects that I have done on other cars. Namely a R26 and a W204 C63. Is there any interest in me putting these up? If not I wont take offence, its a Lotus board after all.

How dare you… Burn him!:wink:

Fine by me, post them up​:+1::+1::+1:

I’d read it

Yep always interested here :thumbup:

26R… mmmmm 26arrrrrr… do it already.

A R26, not a R26R. Subtle differences …

Yep definitely interested Andy, post away! :+1:

I’ll enjoy seeing/reading :+1:

Andy, you need one of these:

As a serial Clio owner, I think I might just qualify for one myself :+1:

I like it :thumbup:

You could tell me what sort of Clio to get as a track day car for my son? We want something we can drive to tracks and back. Spare wheels in boot.

We have roadtested a Clio Cup on Project Cars and Logitech pedals wheel etc and both hated it. The only way to go fast was to flick the car into the corner, catch the oversteer and hope it dragged itself in the right direction. It would be certain crashes on track. I assume the simulation is not accurate?

Whats the budget? Will determine what I suggest.

I have a Clio Trophy which is fantastic but I don’t track it, prices mean not ideal as a track car, I had a 172 Cup prior and they I think are great, loved it and much better price…

Good luck :+1:

Front wheel drive cars will understeer inherently, so you can:

a) Throw it in early and try to flick it round
b) Trail brake to the apex then power out
c) Brake deep, turn in late and square off

If you’re not 100% going with a Clio, what about an MX5? Cheap, rear wheel drive, etc.

Early Clio 172’s are going up in price and finding one that hasn’t been binged and thrashed is getting harder. The 182 is still affordable or alternatively look for the Rsi version of the mark 2. There have been a couple on eBay for pennies, needing a bit of cosmetic work. Power is obviously lower at around 110bhp, but still good cheap fun!

A diff on a jb5 ( Clio ) box will make a heck of a difference.

The R26 with the NDO 020 diff equipped box is fantastic. Easy to tune as well.

I was thinking a max of 7k as it will get binned. He’s too tall (6ft 4) for an MX-5, or Exige or Caterham and demands a roof and doors that he can get in/out.

Clio was our choice until we tested it in Project Cars, either under steer or flick, catch and hope. Can’t be that bad in real life!

Nothing happening whilst we are locked down. I assume any Renaultsport Clio is good? I was looking for a Cup but is that just an option pack?

There are multiple iterations of the clio

Clio 1x2 - 172 / 182 / both came with cup option - no abs / ac etc
Clio 197/200 - heavier than above, feel more grown up to drive
Clio 4 RS - heavier than both but arguably the fastest.

I have drive the 1x2 and the 197 but with a megane ( f4r 774 engine ) replacement. The 1x2 is far, far more fun. Its possibly the most fun car I have driven. Its not ultra quick but cheap, and just plain good fun. I have had one with a low boost turbo conversion as well and that was brilliant. Brought the power to 230bhp.

The clio 197 / 200 is quite frankly disappointing. I found it heavy and quite slow. I have driven recently a megane engine swapped car at 280bhp but it never felt that alive. They also have a inheritant design fault on the box meaning when, not if 3rd gear will fail

Clio 4 RS is the one with the EDC box. Its quite quick on track and as it has turbo its mappable and some decent gains can be had. I know someone who has owned a 1x2 and only sold his Mk4RS to buy the new Megane 4 RS. He rated his highly.

With £7k to play with you are into the realm of the bigger Renaults - the meganes
R26 - I owned one of these and they are superb for the money. 300bhp is easy to achieve but ensure maintenance is done. You would be able to get a peach of a car for £7k and still have enough cash for a few trackdays
R250 - a more grown up version of above and the engine change means more power is available. Myriad of spec out there but you want the one with the PK0 with diff in it. Do not get a non diff Meg. Makes so much difference it hurts.

Agree with Andy on this one - with the budget you have, a Megane would be a good choice at the right spec. Probably far less chance of getting a thrashed one than with a Clio, too.

I have to say I’ve never heard of somebody dismissing a car because of a computer game before :laughing:

I’ve had 2x 182s. They’re great, really really fun but all getting seriously leggy and knackered now. I fear good ones are running out.

I think it would be Meg 250 for me if they can fit in the budget.

Some good advice, thanks. When I look at the MoT record for Clio’s rust appears to be the enemy and there are not that many around. . I had not thought of a Megane. I’ll get detailed advice before I buy! I will also have to stop being rude about Clio’s parked in the gravel, that will be my son.