Any idea what this is?

Specifically item J ?

[image]http://i39.photobucket.com/albums/e163/sc_jones/HoseKit.jpg[/image]

Looks like sone sort of pressure relief valve

Cheers

Item J has its fat end going ito one ond of item C and the other end goes into the middle T on item H

I know, but WTF is it

Item J has its fat end going ito one ond of item C and the other end goes into the middle T on item H

Mate you should work for Ikea

WOW! Item J, I used to manufacture those in various forms for a subsiduary of Lucas. Its a reducing connector. Never new its actual name we used to call them 623/4551 and 324/6678 etc. It’s made from polyoxymethanol - (POM) Better known as acetal, it’s a homo-polymer, Delrin P100, chemically lubricated. Oops! Do I sound like a geek?

It’s designed to fit between 2 pipes so that a clip can be tightened without crushing closed the bore and is used for low pressure joints. As to what it’s fuction is in the pipe arrangement picture you put up, I have no idea

WOW! Item J, I used to manufacture those in various forms for a subsiduary of Lucas. Its a reducing connector. Never new its actual name we used to call them 623/4551 and 324/6678 etc. It’s made from polyoxymethanol - (POM) Better known as acetal, it’s a homo-polymer, Delrin P100, chemically lubricated. Oops! Do I sound like a geek?

It’s designed to fit between 2 pipes so that a clip can be tightened without crushing closed the bore and is used for low pressure joints. As to what it’s fuction is in the pipe arrangement picture you put up, I have no idea

Yes and POM can really make your eyes water cant it

“Homo-polymer”, what are you saying?

Can’t remember seeing this on an Elise and certainly not in the parts or workshop manual for an Exige either

So it’s just a connector? Could it simply be a part of the kit required to get the silicon hoses to fit in place of the original rubber ones?

Doesn’t look just like a connector, it’s more complicated than a simple large to small connection piece.

There is an insert piece in the large end with 3 small holes in it. Trapped within this is a ball bearing. The water seems to travel round the outside of the insert piece (between it and the inner walls of the big tube)

[image]http://i39.photobucket.com/albums/e163/sc_jones/Dsc_00031.jpg[/image]

It’s a bit of a puzzler

It’s a check valve then. The ball bearinbg closes the flow in one sense.

Which case? for you to think.

radiator by-pass circuit reducer

Yes and POM can really make your eyes water cant it

Mmmm, burning POM and asking someone to see what it smells like, gets 'em every time Not recommended for the young, old or infirm though

it is a bleed valve like the one on the intake manifold (DTHTB for the Exige).
as long as there is air trapped, it lets it pass above, towards the top of the expansion tank. When there is no air left, the coolant flow will lift the ball and block the flow.
Using those silicone hoses, as they miss a bypass compared to the original ones, you should remove the ball or the temp senders may get incorrect readings.