Another Newbie!

Evening all,

Thought I’d best sign up and introduce myself as I’ve been visiting the forum as a guest for some time now. A little bit about me, my name’s Toby, I live in Surrey and at the weekend you’ll find me driving an MK Indy R1 (BEC). I built the car a couple of years ago and use it for both road and track use.

Some of you may now be thinking, why am I signing up to an Exige forum!? Reason being, my dad and I are looking to buy an Exige S1 together, we’ve been looking for a while now and can’t wait to find the right car :slight_smile:

Cheers

Toby

Welcome Toby.

What sort of spec S1 are you after?

Rob

Welcome Toby, you and your Dad will be very here. I’m just restoring an S1 at this very moment. Good luck in your search, keep us posted. :thumbup:

Hi Rob,

Thanks for the welcome! Like many others I’m sure, we’re after a low mileage, unmolested example and preferably a car that hasn’t been used as a track weapon!

We’re certainly in a position to buy as soon as the right car becomes available and hopefully that’ll be sooner rather that later! However, I’m sure we’ll just have to be patient!

Toby

Welcome Toby.

Whereabouts in Surrey are you? There’s a few of us in Surrey; myself, Muu and R1chard all live around the Kingston/Richmond/Kew area.

Good luck on your search.

Cheers Jonny, will do!

Not too far away then Benja, I’m in Kenley.

Toby

Like many others I’m sure, we’re after a low mileage, unmolested example and preferably a car that hasn’t been used as a track weapon!

Toby

Be careful what you wish for if you intend using it on track yourself - lack of use can bring its own problems, particularly with 14 year old cars.

Yeah I’m with Pesky, probably most if not all of the really loved exiges are exercised regularly on track. These are the cars that have absolutely £££ lavished on them over the years.

Have you checked out the one down at Plans?

That’s actually an interesting thought guys and something that we would need to consider!

I think the condition is certainly an important factor for us, a clear documented history and it’s got to be completely original! So not much of a wish list for a car that demand probably outweighs supply :slight_smile:

I have indeed Benja, we popped down to have a look at it on Sunday, but both felt that it wasn’t quite the right car for us.

That red one on PH is nice too if you’re after something low miles and boggo standard. The price is a bit fierce but it’s been up for months and the dealer is probably just acting as agent…there may be a deal to be done.

They are outlawing cold calling Rob :wink:

What were your thoughts on it?

Have to say odd advert from Plans - “Exige S1 was the last “real” Lotus” - hope they tell that to the owners of all the other models taken there for work!

To cap it all "It is now so rare to find an original car, with so many having been messed about with and turned into track cars. " Messed with! Is that their description of what they do to many owners cars? :astonished:

Yeah that is pretty odd as a sales approach given Plans core business.

Last time I went to Plans, JDS worked there which means it must have been many many years ago.

I think it would be unfare of me to air my thoughts on a forum, we just felt that the car wasn’t right for us and I’m sure plans will have no shortage of interest in the car!

Fair enough Toby.

Out of interest, how many S1s have you viewed so far, & did you/dad drive any of them, & why were they not right for you? The S1 never was, nor ever will be perfect for most peeps (even true petrolheads) - they are a “compromise” in so many ways & you either must have one warts & all, or walk away. Afraid it’s as black or white as that.

Good luck with your search - hope you eventually live the dream like so many on this forum.

PS Apologies for all the above cliches - beaucoup de vin rouge ce soir! :smiley:

:laughing:

Admittedly, although we’ve been keeping an eye on the market on and off for approximately 18 months now, we’ve only viewed one to buy and unfortunately not had the chance to drive one either!

Oh I do agree Pesky, it’s part of the character of an Exige and one of the reasons I think we’ve both fallen for the S1.

However, from the purest point of view, a car in the best possible condition e.g. bodywork, interior and standard spec would appeal far more to us than let’s say a car that has been upgraded or has visible signs of a hard working life.

Toby

Even the best examples that are standard, you will end the journey slightly deaf and probably smelling of pertrol! If it is warm outside don’t think the AC will save you, even when it is working properly, it is like being breathed on by an asthmatic mouse over an ice cube.
S1 are not for the faint hearted, given the chance and a bigger garage I would love to own one to put next to the S2 :wink:

Welcome to exiges.com Toby and good luck with your search

Sorry ‘Shrek’ is not for sale. :slight_smile:

Doesn’t meet the specified criteria anyway :wink:

:laughing: Thanks for your concern Ade…But I must say, AC, some sort of heating system (Even if it is an engine) and ending the journey only slightly deaf, sounds like the height of luxury, well compared to my other car anyway :smiley: :smiley:

Toby