An idiots guide to known problems for the S2 Exige

Sorry, I did search through this section but nothing stood out to me. I know all cars have known problems and issues and I was wondering what I need to be looking out for when viewing/test driving an S2 Exige? Your help would be appreciated.

Mark.

Not many problems on the S2 exige :slight_smile:

Most people have had problem free driving.

its not an S1 you know lol

I had a problem with my old 54 plate car with the ac heat exchanger freezing but theyve since rectified the problem by repositioning the sensor, had a squeaky roof!, had one of the central door locking units fail, the rear clams are prone to damage from loose items in the boot (more so than an elise) you will see star cracks in the clam level with the boot floor, some of the cast exige wheels had problems being balanced (had this with one of mine), usual check of the front clam/splitter for damage, they are all a little tappety but some have had a issue with worn cams but you cant really tell unless it was really bad.

Thats all I can think of

Gav

Heater Matrix unit and motor. Is a known problem

Yep, the heater fan is a common probem. Water collects around the control unit and then it fails. Check that it works on all speeds.

Also, check for any play in the steering. The racks can sometimes wear a bit quickly.

Pretty reliable car on the whole. Mine’s never let me down

You might find this thread on Elise Talk the USA forum very helpful and indepth.

Thanks for your help guys. I’m still doing my homework on the S2 Exige. I’m going to rent a S2 from Dream Machines for a couple of days to see how they are to live with everyday, that should be alot more helpful than your average test drive.

How much will it cost to rent one mate?

Lotus Sports Exhausts Stage 2 & Stage 1 seem to be suffering from problems with the brackets breaking.

How much will it cost to rent one mate?

I got the idea from Ian on here, �180 per day from Dream Machines in Sussex. Probably going to rent it for 2 days, that should hopefully give me a better idea of what they are really like than a quick test drive with a salesman sitting next to you.

Are you going to track it? If so try and get one with the twin oil coolers.

Are you going to track it? If so try and get one with the twin oil coolers.

The hire car? No. However if I buy one it will be seeing a fair amount of track action.

As for modifying it and adding oil coolers, as much as I’d love to, I think I might encounter insurance issues especially being 24 and under that magical 25 years old.

You don’t need to modify it to get twin oil coolers. They came as standard on the performance kit car.

You don’t need to modify it to get twin oil coolers. They came as standard on the performance kit car.

Thanks, I didn’t know that, I’m still learning.

So… problems are as follows;
A/C heat exchanger freezes,
Squeaky roof,
Central locking,
Damage to the rear clam from object in the boot,
Worn cams,
Heater matrix unit and motor,
Steering racks,
Sports exhaust, stages 1&2, brackets breaking.

Any more for any more?

Fancy seeing you here

Fancy seeing you here

[image]http://i37.photobucket.com/albums/e60/penfish4/Youaintseenme1.jpg[/image]

Thanks, I didn’t know that, I’m still learning.

So… problems are as follows;
A/C heat exchanger freezes,
Squeaky roof,
Central locking,
Damage to the rear clam from object in the boot,
Worn cams,
Heater matrix unit and motor,
Steering racks,
Sports exhaust, stages 1&2, brackets breaking.

Any more for any more?

engine mount went
2nd gear crunching badly on downchanges (to be investigated)
my rack is now knocking
clutch and plate after 12000m miles (�1000+)
also had the exhaust bracket
heater fan failed

current mileage: 23500

aelord … I had the second gear crunch … upon investigation found to be no more than centre console rubbing against the lever. Console had just become distorted. New one obtained and fitted under warranty.

aelord … I had the second gear crunch … upon investigation found to be no more than centre console rubbing against the lever. Console had just become distorted. New one obtained and fitted under warranty.

Thanks for that Kimbo, I hope that is my diagnosis too. It is worse when the car is hot.

Constant electronic problems with FBW throttle leading to break downs!!!
Doors dropping
Window seals leaking…Apart from that I love Her!