alternative tyres?

i need to buy a set of new semi-slicks as my yoko A048’s are nearly non-road legal can anyone recommend any other brands like Toyo 888 for example?

thanks!

No.

Listen to the man (or do a search if you don’t want to).

Ian

It’s that it’s such a long subject.

Toyo 888’s are not (AFAIK) out in Exige sizes
Toyo T1R’s are ok if you don’t do tracks or drive fast on the road. They clear water well though.
A039’s are more expensive than A048’s and clear water better, about same total grip than A048’s but much les progressive and the blocks tend to make it run hot.
The Kumhos Ecsta V70 are cheaper, same total grip, excellent wet grip but are harsh on the road (stiffer sidewall) and come in 205 for the front only, so slightly lower profile, and start life at 5mm (instead of 6mm) so less life.

The best out there is the A048 so far.
(but my next set is likely to be another Kumho )

Toyo 888’s are not (AFAIK) out in Exige sizes
Toyo T1R’s are ok if you don’t do tracks or drive fast on the road. They clear water well though.

Toyo 888’s should have the fronts ready at any time. If you’re the first to use em let us know how they are.

I took off A048’s and tried the Toyo T1R’s �310 for a full set fitted. Great value but pants compared to the A048’s

I have done about 5k miles on them so far and they are about 1/2 2/3’s worn - I would be on my second set of yokos by now

T1R’s seem to be a good compromise - but they really are a compromise!

I have run AO48’s, AO39’s, Toyo T1R’s and ToyoT1s’ on my car and…

The 48’s are a great track tyre, very good levels of grip progressive and long lasting. Donwsides on the road are very stiff side wall effecting the ride and tramlining (at least with my setup). I have just put some on my car for a track day last week and have been running them on the road for a couple of days… The 39’s will be going back on soon because maxing the car out on public roads with 48’s on is just silly and Im going to kill myself .

The 39’s don’t do tracks, the tread blocks are too small which they fall apart and nowhere near as much grip as a 48. On the road they are a superb tyre with excellent wet/dry grip and good compliance. They only have 5mm of tread to start with though so feel lucky if you get 5K miles out of them.

Both the Toyos are rubbish. The construction is nowhere near up to par but they do last a long time and they clear water well on wet roads. Other downside is they take about 1000 miles to bed in.

Also…forgot to mention… You can get BF Gooddridge G-profiler tyres which are reputedly good for the Exige although you would have to have a 45 profile at the front which is no big deal.

Thanks for the info guys. I like my yoko A048’s but i want to get a set i can do more road mileage with. Ill check out the Bf Goodrich tyres

The 39’s don’t do tracks…

They certainly use to in the good old days before 48s!

He says, having just bought 3+ sets off a fellow Exiger (for which I am very grateful ).

Ian

"Both the Toyos are rubbish. The construction is nowhere near up to par but they do last a long time and they clear water well on wet roads. Other downside is they take about 1000 miles to bed in. "

BANG ON!!!

esp - this bit! “1000 miles to bed in”

Really horrid when new - I nearly cried, drove it up a lane and fired it on the way back from fitting :-/

I use T1Rs on the road and on wet tracks, but have 048s on speedlines for serious track work…

what are your opinions on the Tr-1’s mike?

FYI, a very capable Exiger has put his car in a ditch on T1Rs.

Ian

what are your opinions on the Tr-1’s mike?

Endless mileage on the road, and having them reminds me not to use the power too much…

Seriously though, I cannot fault them for general road use with the odd few fast roundabouts thrown in, or for wet tracks, but if money were no object I would use 039s…

On dry tracks the 048 has no equal (except of course pure slicks - hee hee)

"Both the Toyos are rubbish. The construction is nowhere near up to par but they do last a long time and they clear water well on wet roads. Other downside is they take about 1000 miles to bed in. "

BANG ON!!!

esp - this bit! “1000 miles to bed in”

LOvL

and what about this bit… they take about 100000 miles to wear out

they take about 100000 miles to wear out

Making the engine a more consumable item!

Ian

well it is a K series

Also its funny how when you have owned an exige for a while, it becomes routine to change brakes Discs like most people change pads, change pads like most people change oil, change tyres like they were going out of fashion and change/top up oil almost every week