Advice with pgrade decisions.

What would be the best cousre of action regarding upgrades?I have a larini exhaust and have put on pagids,next i was thinking of the suspension,with a trip to plans for some ohlins the 1st option.I was thinking of working towards a supercharger kit but i think i will wait until my driving skills can cope!Would changing the filter and maybe the cat to the sports cat that jamie has had fitted see a significant increase in power gain or are they not justified?Any comments appreciated.

marc.

Your best gains will be in your driving. A couple of hundred quid invested in training will do wonders.

If I were you get some Pagids on the car, really helps with confidence having good brakes.

Go for an induction kit and zaust next will add small gains and some great sound

Ohlins are great later down the line when you really know the car and are confident in your abilities. It�s a lot of fun fine-tuning the settings to a track, conditions and your own driving style.

An SC should be great but sort the above first.

Your best gains will be in your driving. A couple of hundred quid invested in training will do wonders.

If I were you get some Pagids on the car, really helps with confidence having good brakes.

Go for an induction kit and zaust next will add small gains and some great sound

Ohlins are great later down the line when you really know the car and are confident in your abilities. It�s a lot of fun fine-tuning the settings to a track, conditions and your own driving style.

An SC should be great but sort the above first.

Got the pagids,got the zaust

marc.

Just do some more trackdays and while you’re at it, use the instructor that is always available.

You’ll get there.

Was only joking about the driving skills bit,although i don’t liken myself to anything like a driving god this is my 3rd lotus,plus a couple of porker 944’s incl a turbo,so i’m used to high performance rear wheel drive.

marc.

Have a chat with Graham at Plans about your goals etc

Has anyone here fitted the Janspeed manifold? I bet it would have much more effect on the torque curve than any back box. I know they are off the market just now due to leakage issues but I really think the manifold, cat and cam swap will have a really noticeable effect and give the heavier S/240Rs a run for their money (oooh fighting talk )

isn’t the Janspeed mani standard fit on S1 exige ?

our standard manifold is actually quite effective all the dynos i have seen give small gains for a ���s

Was only joking about the driving skills bit,although i don’t liken myself to anything like a driving god this is my 3rd lotus,plus a couple of porker 944’s incl a turbo,so i’m used to high performance rear wheel drive.

It’s always really surprised me how much I can learn from a few minutes of good observation.

Ian

The Janspeed is the OE fit by the look of it on the S1. The S2 manifold is a very compact 4-1 design with rather small bore. It looks very remiscent of the std rover hatchback K manifold. I’ve only read the SAE papers on the 2ZZ in the Toyota vehicle and all they say about the exhaust is that its very compact and the downpipe is a baffled tube - the overall target is to minimise heat loss and get the cat lit off quickly. The lotus design looks like the toyota one from the pics I’ve seen. I know the S2 Janspeed one looks like the VHPD/S1 version, much freer flowing with a 4-2-1 design. This will tend to give you a midrange boost rather than suffering the negative tuning you get at 4500-5000ish with a 4-1. I know my old Caterham 4-1 (r400) had a big dip which when you compare to a 190Exige torque curve is totally different.

I’ll try and do an analysis on the Yota at some point and see if any benefit can be found, but I’d be really keen to see some back to back power curves on the two designs. I haven’t looked on dyno-plot yet but will do so now.

Sounds promising ? http://www.janspeed.com/NewsDisplay.asp?ID=28

“After extensive dyno testing Janspeed are pleased to announce a full range of exhaust products for the new Toyota powered Lotus Elise 111R and Exige S2.
The silencer alone makes good gains to overall power, and when used in conjunction with Janspeed’s manifold and sports catalyst real gains can be felt from as little as 3000rpm.
This continues to be felt right across the mid range, answering one of the few short coming’s leveled at the new car; lack of low rev urgency. The system also adds a new dimension to the sound track!
All components are constructed solely from 304 grade stainless steel and carry a lifetime warranty (24 months for the catalyst), the system features a highly polished silencer, and is finished off with twin 90mm round slash cut tails, engraved with the Janspeed logo.
Prices are as follows;Manifold (SM993)�382.97 ex VAT, Sports Catalyst (SS997SC)�297.87 ex VAT, System cat back (SS997)�323.40 ex VAT.”

But they would say that wouldn’t they!

Somehow I’m not attracted to Janspeed anymore ever since I removed the original manifold in the Exige.
It was awful! the weld qualities, the bend shapes, the collectors angles, almost no thought to the final performance of the product.

Compared to that the EBD big bore that followed was a work of art!
That is, until I realized the cumbersome details like too close to the shifter links, too low and required cutting/modifying the undertray and the selaing of the flange to the head (always had to tighten it/put some goo because it would leak.

And now the 2bular quality is miles ahead from the EBD. The best flowing shape I’ve seen and the best finish (apart from the step lengths and diams, but that’s the design)

I guess Janspeed does Ok silencers, but nothing too fancy.

AFAIK 2bular makes 111R/S2 Exige silencers and sports CATs but not yet manifolds.
Maybe they’re working on that.

Somehow I’m not attracted to Janspeed anymore ever since I removed the original manifold in the Exige.
It was awful! the weld qualities, the bend shapes, the collectors angles, almost no thought to the final performance of the product.

Uldis - I’m no great fan of Janspeed - I don’t know but it seems that they go out of business and then are resurrected every 5 mins - but as they produced both the engine the exhaust system, I imagine it was done for a very tight price and perhaps they had to do things they wouldn’t have done if selling the product under their own steam?

AFAIK 2bular makes 111R/S2 Exige silencers and sports CATs but not yet manifolds.
Maybe they’re working on that.

I have tried to get Jim to complete my set-up with a manifold so far no luck

Hope it’s just a matter of time then.

I asked Janspeed if they had any power curves to back up their claims - wait and see.

I also took a look at the 2bular website, very impressive. If he’s thinking of doing an S2 design I may try to optimise a manifold design and see if they’d make it for us?

BC