Advanced planning

there’s nothing like a bit of advanced planning . . .so here goes . . . .i’ll be looking to buy (that’s BUY, not just think about buying ) an exige in October/November of this year. Black or that fab dark blue colour the st. albans garage had in early this year . . .anyone owning such a beast please bear it in mind. Keeping an eye on the S1 prices in the meantime re. the S2 reviews.
Also, does anyone out there think that there are any untracked exiges left?

A good time of year to buy, prices should be down slightly. If you agree a sale now you could diddle yourself.

Also, does anyone out there think that there are any untracked exiges left?

I SHOULD HOPE NOT! It’d be cruel! But I suspect there’s a few.

Ian

ps. Never really liked the dark blue.

I’d weary of non-tracked ones. They haven’t been sorted.

You could be lucky with a non-tracked one, it could be ok.

…or it could break.

Uldis

To the point and spot on with it … - also IMHO a few miles on them helps to have eliminated the issues …

Thanks

It’s true, mine seems much happier directly after the trackday than when it’s had the humdrum medium revs journey home.

Actually, so do I!

Ian

Thanks for the advice guys. How do we all feel about buying from lotus dealerships? Are they worth the extra cash for a better car, or is that not your experience (“buyer beware” is a bit of a heavy concept at Exige repair prices.
Ooooooh . . gettin all excited about this now.

ASWELL AS FINDING A GOOD EXIGE .

ITS VERY WISE TO GET A GOOD HASSLE FREE WARRANTY AS EXIGES ARENT THE MOST RELIABLE CARS IN THE WORLD .

ONLY THE MOST ENJOYABLE .

ITS VERY WISE TO GET A GOOD HASSLE FREE WARRANTY AS EXIGES ARENT THE MOST RELIABLE CARS IN THE WORLD .

1111, you’re still shouting mate, so please turn off your keyboard caps lock!

Does anyone offer a “good hassle free warranty”? It seems your best chance is a warranty given by the dealer, but that is unlikely to be for more than 3 months! Warranties with third party “insurance companies” don’t have a very good record for coughing up when a claim is made!

In practice, I would recommend keeping �3k “up your sleeve” (over and above routine servicing budget), just in case of emergencies! Hopefully, you will never need to dip into this reserve! In all fairness, this would apply to any used high performance car, & a bigger reserve would be needed if you’re into Porsche/Ferrari/similar ownership.

I would recommend keeping �3k “up your sleeve”

And I thought that was your biceps Rob…

Just bought my Exige through Caterham - they gave me their own 3 month warranty with the car and wouldn’t give any more than that. Still it covers my trip to Le Mans in June which should iron out any niggles if there are any - touch wood

sorry for shouting Mr Pesky , I am still only a novice

the warranty company I use is the Mitsubishi Red Zebra Diamond Warranty , which costs only �400 a year and covers the usual parts and labour , with no hassle [up to now]

repairs have included : full engine rebuild and new throttle bodies costing in excess of �6000 .

leaving me with a PHEW grand up my sleeve .

full engine rebuild and new throttle bodies costing in excess of �6000 .

Jesus effing christ what did they rebuild the engine with, Titanium ???

They told me the engine rebuild alone was �4600 ???

I was also including the car being delivered by low loader and curtesy car as the nearest lotus dealer is 70 miles from me .

Based on the “Still smoking” thread they clearly built it with material with a very low coefficient of expansion

Are you saying that your �400 warranty covered the engine rebuild etc. ?

Has it not had 2 rebuilds? I was at said dealers when chief mechanic ran out, stopped me to ask what ‘usual’ oil consumption on an Exige was, as yours they thought seemed to be burning a bit on the excessive side He also reckoned that they had sent your VHPD away to the original manufacturer to give it the once over…

Yes Simon my Exige has had 2 full rebuilds and 2 half rebuilds at the said dealer .

The point I was making was the piece of mind of a good warranty .

Its not the warranty companies fault that the said dealers have nuggets for mechanics or at least appear to have .

DJB69
Yes the warranty company paid for everything .

Obviously their are other companies to choose from . I am only giving advice on my personal experiences with Exige ownership and not saying all Exiges are the same .

Hope I havnt put you off cos they are a great car really .

1111 no chance! - its gonna take a hell of a lot more than that to put me off. I’ll see if i can’t squirrel away 3k in the meantime though

All this stuff is really usefull. thanks guys.

DJB69
sounds to me like you could save yourself �2600 and buy this warranty… sounds excellent…