Accident analysis for insurer

I need a qualified engineer who can check some calculations about a road accident, where the driver who hit me is contesting the claim.

I was hit from the rear whilst stationary, but the other party is alleging I rolled back into him. This happened on a dead flat road, so is complete nonsense. Nevertheless his insurer is currently refusing to admit liability.

The impact was around 15-20mph so I have done some calculations to show what gradient would be necessary for a rolling vehicle to reach this speed (the basic dynamics are quite simple); however I need these verifying independently by a second engineer as I could obviously be seen as biased.

Anyone out there who can help?

I’m sure there are loads of certified mech engineers that could help here. Are your insurance not helping here?

Also what is the top speed of the car in reverse? You can prove if you were in reverse or not if the bulb burst, as the filaments burn if lit when exposed.

Dunno if this helps? - UK Speedtrap Guide. Radar, GPS and Laser radar detector guide.

My thinking being that you’d need to be rolling backwards at some pace (which I haven’t worked out) for it to be significant.

Thanks guys.

The insurer isn’t being unhelpful as such, just not much use as they’re as surprised as I am that the other side are being so awkward!

From the damage, the estimated impact speed was 15-20mph. The calc’s are based on there being a 2-second space between the vehicles, ie. minimum safe gap.

Using standard equations of motion the required gradient to reach that speed in the given time can be worked out. This is simplistic in that it doesn’t account for friction, drag, etc. but all of those work against motion so the calculated gradient is actually less steep than would be required in reality.

Out of interest I also looked at it from the other aspect, ie. the distance needed to get to the impact speed at shallower angles and a 1% incline would have had me rolling backwards for over 200 metres…!

I’ve done stuff like this in the past, but the Court will only accept expert opinion from someone who’s appropriately qualified and also not involved personally.

Tried Seloc? There are many folks on there that have skills and like to help a fellow lotus owner

I thought I’d ask here before resorting to the ‘dark side’!

I doubt you’ll get an opinion on Seloc :smiley:

nope you will get a thousand LOL

Often the threat of ‘see you in court’ is enough to make them see sense.
I’m sorry for you that it doesn’t sound as if it’s going to be that simple.
Hope you can string them up by the genitals.

You will get plenty of opinions but be careful that many of the claimed experts are total muppets spouting authority and wisdom without a basic understand of any science or engineering. I am very careful who I ask for advice, just a select few days always by u2u.

Hopefully the arrival of Court papers will focus the other side’s attention.

It’s not even a big amount; repairs were £2.5k and no personal injury, whiplash, etc.

yeah wop the court papers on em, they know it’s a he said she said situation that usually sides with the car in front anyway