A048s - Again

thats a good price Paul [image]http://www.exiges.com/ubb/NonCGI/images/icons/smile.gif[/image]Phil

Back to what the A048s are like, then…I had them fitted a couple of weeks ago andhad the chance to work them hard under various track conditions. First a day at the MIRA/Dunlop wet test track (Nuneaton), then two dry days at Donington and Brands. After some 220+ laps in total (plus 1200 motorway miles), I rate the A048s highly. On a dry track, grip levels are even better than the A039, turn in is much more positive, general precision is amazing and they’re nicely progressive and safe when they start to slide. Wear rates seem similar to (if not better than) the A039s. On a wet track, they’re pretty close to the A039s as well - not stellar, but you can get up to some entertaining grip levels. A much better track tyre overall, I think.On the minus side, you have to be a little more careful with operating temperatures. Too cold and they’re useless (makes driving round town here in Edinburgh intersting…), too hot and they start to ‘go off’ (after about 35 laps of brisk progress around Donington, they started to lose grip rapidly; 30 mins cool down in the pitlane and they were fine again). So far, I think the A048s are the perfect track day tyre for me, and possibly for most of us. Does anyone hold different views?Cheers - Roland

Sprinter (Roland) i agree with your report on them.Having driven a couple of exiges with different tyres (39’s etc) i am totally happy with my 48’s as they do offer the best grip for what i use my car for mainly, track days.No moments due to them on the road and would recommend them to one and all (thanks Pesky for putting me onto them).One thing i would say though, they have loads of grip and hence allow you to carry more speed (with confidence) into the corners and therefore i managed to BURN through my front wheel arch linings at Brands the other day. I now need to look at stiffer springs etc to reduce roll. But then again the holes are there now so should not be a problem with the current set up. Hee, Hee…Mark.

I need to replace my rear tyres and from what I can see the A048s are better for the track, but what about the road? I haven’t plucked up enough courage to do a track day yet so all my miles are likely to be on the road. Are the A048s the ones to go for and would they be all right with A039 fronts?CheersJason

Agree with Sprinter. They’re great tyres, but seem more sensitive to pressure/temperature.Get it right, and you’ll love them.

MarkIf you have made holes in the off side front liner make and you’re not going to replace it, make sure the oil cooler F+R pipes are not now exposed.You don’t want to be wearing a hole in these!!I have accepted living with holes in the liners on the basis that the same thing will happen again but have secured the oil cooler pipes away from the hole.I think Lotus have now modified the liner design to include a moulded recess to stop this problem.David

Dave thank you for the advice i am getting the clutch replaced next Tuesday so will get them to move the pipes out of the wya, cheers, Mark.

Jason,I wouldn’t mix 039 fronts with 048 rears - it’ll understeer a lot and may prove totally unpredictable in the wet (different water clearing abilities0.You have a similar problem to the one I had and I decided that, as there was plenty of life left in the fronts, that I would buy A039s for the rear so that all four would then go at about the same time and then I could fit 048s all round. It’s also a cheaper short term option (2 x 039s against 4 x 048s). If money is no object get 4 x 048s!Mike

Had a exige 192 with 39’s on, thought they were great but expensive, i have a S2 sport190 that runs the current motorsport suspension settings with the AO48’s on bespoke compamotive mag wheels, grip is abnormal in the dry even more so when temperature gets into them and although it’s fair to say that comparativly they struggle in the wet, especially if its cold, but i think overall there fine. After 2 offical trackdays(on 1 i payed for 2 sessions as a gift for a friend!), 3500miles and the odd blast round heathal i needed a new set of rears, next time i need new tyre’s it’ll probebly be a new set at around 7-8000miles? current milage 5000miles and going strong! also they look cool!!!..hope i’m allowed to leave messages in hear even though i no longer own an exige?!!

quote:Originally posted by The83man:Jason,I wouldn’t mix 039 fronts with 048 rears - it’ll understeer a lot and may prove totally unpredictable in the wet (different water clearing abilities0.You have a similar problem to the one I had and I decided that, as there was plenty of life left in the fronts, that I would buy A039s for the rear so that all four would then go at about the same time and then I could fit 048s all round. It’s also a cheaper short term option (2 x 039s against 4 x 048s). If money is no object get 4 x 048s!MikeMike, thanks for the advice. A039 it is then as money is an object!Jason

quote:Originally posted by Stevef:my previous best price was �110 rears �90 fronts(�400 total) both plus vat and carriage.That was South West Lotus.CheerssteveSouth West Lotus are at the Donington show and doing �400 inc VAT for a set - but this is a cash only price…I got myself a set - would have got 2 but couldn’t get the cash from the cashpoint!

I raced and won in my sport elise in the AMOC Lotus road sport championship last year and A048’s where the tyres to have. Simply because they where the right size for the car and so kept the suspension geometry in line. they have about 10 to 15 really hot laps in them after which they level out and are pretty good. they are however rubbish in the wet or damp. Hope that helps

morning chaps, was just wondering wheter somebody could let me know tel.no.and address of Nick Whales in Birmingham.(it’s regarding A048’s) will get some when I’m in the country… [image]http://www.exiges.com/ubb/NonCGI/images/icons/grin.gif[/image]cheers,Bruno

Bruno,0121 772 4250206 Bradford StreetDigbethBirminghamB12 ORG

cheers, Steve, nice one…later,Bruno

Guys,

what’s happenig with the prices of the A048’s?
South West Lotus is now offering them for 180 each + VAT !
At this point I will try to get them from wherever at 139 (if I can find them)
Has Lotus managed to bump the prices up?
Is this some kind of tactic to increase them up to ridiculous levels again?

Uldis (needing two rears)

Uldis

Me thinks this could be “profiteering”, as I suspect supply is short at the moment because Lotus are fitting the 48s to the Elise 135R (track oriented model).

Have you tried any official dealers?

In fact, just placed an order from Bell & Colville, 139+VAT, as suspected, not great but fair.

Next time there is an “unlimited supply” I’ll get two sets to sit on the shelf!

Fcuken “profiteering”!